Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

replacement of old foundation

I have a very old house. The foundation is half dirt and half finished. (the old stone)

Is it possible to put a new foundation in? What kind of cost?, will it be cheaper to move? What is all involved?

It is a dry basement, as long as I keep the down spouts aligned away from the house.

Has anyone had this done? Any views will help.

lmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #2

Anything can be done; Hell they moved a lighthouse intact! The only variables are cost and convience. Call some foundation contractors in your area, and a structural engineer, if they do not have one on staff at the foundation repair company.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

You can even replace a foundation a few feet at a time without any special supports or jacking often times. It's not exactly a DIY project, but I can by done if you have the patience and time to dedicate to it.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #4

Without a photo it is hard to tell.

I have seen some people pour a new cement wall over top or side by side of the old wall to reinforce the old wall. Build the forms a few inches from the old wall and then pour cement (with rebar) between the old wall and the form. Let dry a few days and then remove the forms.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #5

why would you want to replace your exsisting foundation IF? there is nothing wrong with it. I have underpinned my foundation 3ft to get more ceiling hieght and did it sections at a time and sounds like the same kind of foundation I had. You would be surprised how solid it is.
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote