Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Replace subfloor?

Hey there-

I'm gearing up for an extensive kitchen rehab. The existing floor is solid oak and the subfloor appears to be 5/4 plank (very old, slow-growth pine) with 1/4" spaces between adjacent boards. The existing floor is very squeeky and I don't know if this is the oak floor or the planked subfloor however the existing oak flooring is going to be removed. At that point, I can certainly go over the existing 5/4 plank subfloor and screw the bejesus out of it to prevent any future noise.

I cannot think of any reason to ditch the existing planked subfloor in order to lay down a new plywood subfloor. Any comments regarding this thought?

Also, is there any issue with the gaps between planks? I assume that this was done to allow for seasonal expansion/contraction and I cannot think of any reason why this would pose a problem. Before installing the new flooring, I will of course lay down tar paper or building felt.

Thanks for the input!
Jimmy

Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #2

Replace subfloor?

Are the floor joists in good shape below this area?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Replace subfloor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Are the floor joists in good shape below this area?
1911 vintage, slow-growth pine, slightly larger than standard dimension (but not rough-sawn) and hard as rock. Any time I screw into any of the existing framing in this house, I have to pilot drill to prevent cam-out. In short, yes, they are in AWESOME condition!

Thanks,
Jimmy