DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replace subfloor?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BigJimmy 
#1 ·
Hey there-

I'm gearing up for an extensive kitchen rehab. The existing floor is solid oak and the subfloor appears to be 5/4 plank (very old, slow-growth pine) with 1/4" spaces between adjacent boards. The existing floor is very squeeky and I don't know if this is the oak floor or the planked subfloor however the existing oak flooring is going to be removed. At that point, I can certainly go over the existing 5/4 plank subfloor and screw the bejesus out of it to prevent any future noise.

I cannot think of any reason to ditch the existing planked subfloor in order to lay down a new plywood subfloor. Any comments regarding this thought?

Also, is there any issue with the gaps between planks? I assume that this was done to allow for seasonal expansion/contraction and I cannot think of any reason why this would pose a problem. Before installing the new flooring, I will of course lay down tar paper or building felt.

Thanks for the input!
Jimmy

#3 ·
1911 vintage, slow-growth pine, slightly larger than standard dimension (but not rough-sawn) and hard as rock. Any time I screw into any of the existing framing in this house, I have to pilot drill to prevent cam-out. In short, yes, they are in AWESOME condition!

Thanks,
Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.