Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replace steel studs?

I am renovating a condo, that has a concrete suspended slab for ceiling and floors as well as concrete?masonry for all exterior walls. As such none of the interior walls are supporting. The plan is to remove/ modify some of the walls to open the floor plan up. I hate the way these walls have been constructed and think with our designs wood framing will be much better and more solid. I also am used to only using wood. My question is this; is there any building code regulations requiring me to stick with steel, for fire reasons or can I make the switch?

joshuaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

replace steel studs?

There probably are codes that define the constuction material. Before starting any construction, you might want to check them out.
The local building dept should be able to answer all questions.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,156

replace steel studs?

a ' concrete suspended slab ' ? ? ? suspended from what ? ? ?

in many states, condo work is considered commercial contractor's work, NOT residential,,, we have conc for our ceiling at the shore in sc but wood 2x4s,,, your bldg inspector's the guy to call HOWEVER you may be opening a can of worms to your detriment,,, good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

replace steel studs?

Quote:
itsreallyconc;527565][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]a ' concrete suspended slab ' ? ? ? suspended from what ? ? ?
must be large sized sky hooks. We use small ones to attach our safety lines to when there is no building around us and we need to tie off.

Quote:
in many states, condo work is considered commercial contractor's work, NOT residential,,,
even when considered resi work, many states do not allow homeowners to do work in a multi family situation. Their screw up kills somebody else.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building code, framing, materials, renovations