Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
PatioGuy

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replace rotted 2x4's in cement patio

I have a large cement patio with rotted 2x4's between the sections. About 450 lineal feet of 2x4's. I plan on ripping them out and replacing them. I live in northern California. No freezing conditins but some rain. Cement sections in good shape. Just 35 years old. Wood rotted.
2 questions.
1. Is there a better product to use other than wood. Anything new out there that I should consider?
2. If I use wood, what is best. Redwood or chemically treated. Other??? My wife does not like the chemicals in treated wood as we have grandkids who play on the patio.
Any general advice before I start?
Thanks.

KennS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I thought any wood that comes in contact with concrete had to be pressure treated?

Evnldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any wood that is in contact with concrete outdoors needs to be treated. Your wife's misgivings about treated wood are pretty much unfounded unless your grandkids actually consume the wood. CCA was phased out a while back and replaced with ACQ, which is a friendlier product.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the dimensions work out, you could certainly consider a composite deck product (Trex, etc). It could be ripped to width and used in the gap, and would last for a very, very long time. If it were too narrow, you could use some flexible elastomeric sealant for concrete to bridge the gaps.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote