Replace Post Between Roof And Concrete Patio. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replace post between roof and concrete patio.

I have a screen porch that has large removable screen panels.
The panels are set into frames made by some 2x4 posts.

One of those posts has rotted at the bottom and I want to replace it.
I'm just not sure what is the best way to replace it.

The top of the post was toe nailed into a board along the ceiling.
The bottom of the post was connected to a nail coming straight up out of the cement and into the end of the 2x4 post.

I removed the post. The bottom was easy to remove since it was all rotted. I was then able to rock it around so it disconnected from the top.

Here is a picture of the post from the top end. It is a 2x4 with wood strips that run along each side which the screen panels lay against. It still has the nails in it that were used to connect it to the ceiling.

Here is picture of where the post was connected to the cement patio. In the center was a nail that came out of the cement. I ended up breaking it off since it was corroded. I tried to get out the rest by drilling around it, but failed. There are also 2 other small holes that I drilled when I contemplated connecting a U-bracket to the patio and then connecting the bracket to the 2x4. But I have since dismissed that idea since I don't want to see any brackets. Anyways the brackets would get in the way of the wood strips running along the 2x4 post.

Just to see the big picture, here is a picture taken from the inside of the porch of a post and 2 screens. Note: the screen on the left looks funny because I have a another screen frame outside leaning against the porch.

Here is a picture from the outside of the porch of a post where one screen panel is removed:

So how would I install a new post? How did they originally install the post? Did they embed the nail into the cement when they original poured the cement for the patio? How did they get the bottom end of the post onto the nail coming out of the cement and yet get the top of the post in tight at the ceiling?

One idea I had was to hammer some nails into the bottom of the 2x4. Then drill some corresponding holes into the cement. Then I could "plug" the nails on the the bottom end of the pole into the corresponding holes in the cement.

I was thinking the holes in the cement could be a little bigger so I have some wiggle room which will allow me to easily to plug the bottom end in and slide the top end in tightly at the ceiling. I figured at the time I install the post that I could fill the holes in the cement with wet cement or some kind of adhesive which would then later dry around the nails.

I found this document (which looks more heavy duty than what I'm doing), where they seem to use an epoxy to glue a metal bar in both the post and in the hole in the cement: http://www.daizen.com/files/daizen-c...o_concrete.pdf

I'm also wondering how can I keep the bottom of the new post from rotting like the old one?

Advertisement

clintonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

This is what you want to use,just one sized for your application.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABU-ABW.asp#

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
This is what you want to use,just one sized for your application.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABU-ABW.asp#
Thanks for your response.

I saw those StrongTie connectors before but:
  1. They don't have any that fit a 2x4
  2. Even if there was one that fit, what do I do with the wood strips that run along the 2x4, they would be outside the metal box holding the post. Unless I decide not to run the wood strips all the way to the floor. But then the new post would look different than all the others.
  3. I didn't want to see any kind of bracket on the new post because then it would look different from all the others.
One solution is just to replace all the posts using something like the StrongTie connectors because then they would all look the same. But I really didn't want to do that much work.

I was just curious if anyone else had ever seen a post installed like the one I'm replacing and if so, how was it actually installed.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

I read elsewhere that the crosscut end of a post has a tendency to draw up and absorb the water vapor from the concrete. I'm wondering if an epoxy between the concrete and the post would work as a vapor barrier.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

They never should have been put in that way in the first place,a better way would be to use a treated 2x4 as a sole plate,and the 2x4's nailed to that,untreated wood should not come in contact with the concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
clintonb (05-27-2013), GBrackins (05-27-2013)