Replace Porch Post? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replace porch post?

Greetings,

I need to replace the post that holds up one corner of the roof over our patio. Original moron just set it in the dirt, no idea how far it goes down, but its rotting & needs replacing.

Obviously I will pour a proper foundation for this post. Living in Florida, what is the best way to attach the new post to the concrete & at least get close to hurricane codes.

Thanks!
Lee

Advertisement

lrciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

replace porch post?

Not sure about Florida. Up here in Washington state I would dig a hole 2 feet deep with a diameter of 30", put a 30" tube in the hole, put post in and fill with concrete.

Advertisement

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

replace porch post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrciii View Post
Greetings,

I need to replace the post that holds up one corner of the roof over our patio. Original moron just set it in the dirt, no idea how far it goes down, but its rotting & needs replacing.

Obviously I will pour a proper foundation for this post. Living in Florida, what is the best way to attach the new post to the concrete & at least get close to hurricane codes.

Thanks!
Lee
Go here: http://www.strongtie.com/hw/index.html?source=hpnav

If you have trouble finding what you think you need, contact them (Simpson Strong Ties) directly.

Link: http://www.strongtie.com/Contact_Us.asp

Or call (800) 999-5099
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

replace porch post?

Why don't you just go down or call the Building Dept. for an informed opinion as to what you need. It's the hurricane issue that is the question.
In lower NY I would sink a 12" sonotube down 40" and fill it with concrete and anchor in a Simpson post hardware. I'd mount the post on the hardware and not in the concrete.
Better to do it once correctly.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote