Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Replace Outside Corner Posts?

Hello everyone! First post for me on this site. I have a feeling I'll be on this forum for years to come.

Wife and I bought our first home in New Jersey this January. The house, which was built around 1978, features original yellow (ugh), aluminum siding. Instead of going the vinyl route (and save some cash), we are going to hire someone to paint the siding a more pleasing color (TBD). However, I want the outside corner posts to be much wider and white to give the house a nice two-tone look.

My basic question is this -- how do I replace the outside corner posts with new ones without damaging the siding? Also, can I use vinyl outside corner posts or should I try to find aluminum ones?

I've attached a photo to show you a damaged outside corner post on my house.

I look forward to any suggestions/advice!

-HomeOwnerNewbie
Attached Images

HomeOwnerNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #2

if you can get the olds ones off... they are usually nailed behind the siding, so you might need to grind them off... add 1 x 2 strips vertically and cover them with 1 x 4's as the outside corner. The 1 x 4's should overlap the siding. Paint everything before you nail them up.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

I'd suggest finding someone w/ a sheet metal brake who could take some white aluminum (such as is used to wrap fascia) and make the appropriately sized corners and attach them over the existing ones.

Removing those outside corners will not be fun.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #4

actually a few well placed smacks with the claw of your hammer will pop these corners off,but i like your idea
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote