Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

Replace Missing Garage Rafters

Hello. First Post.
I have a double deep garage attached to the house I just bought. The previous owner tried to expand his storage options by removing about a third of the rafters and laying plywood over the joists. He then proceeded to insulate EVERYTHING within an inch it's life, and covered the whole mess with OSB. As I'm beginning to remove these dozens of pieces of OSB, it occurs to me that I have no idea what angle to cut the replacement rafters, or where to attach them. The framing is 24" on center, and the pitch of the roof is 12/12. Any suggestions?

Parrotheadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

We need pictures. I, for one, can't fathom how removing rafters increases storage.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #3

Are you sure you're not talking about the lower chord of the truss rafter or possibly the collar tie, or one of the web members?

The removal of an one of these components would would have disastrous results. Like M6 says...snap a couple of picts if you can...it would really help.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

As Rippy says, if you mean that he took the struts out of the centers of roof trusses, then absolutely, positively replace them exactly with the same size and in the same position as the remaining ones. Trusses don't function with ANY of their parts removed.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #5

And if these are the missing parts, you shouldn't just cut chunk of 2X to fit the space...you need to support what now isn't supported from below, bring in back into plane. Then fasten in together using gussets, nails and.or construction screws, not drywall.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote