Replace Eavestrophes By Myself? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replace eavestrophes by myself?

I can get someone professional in to replace the eavestrophes on my house...cost is about $800.00 to $1000.00

I have to do the 2 sides, 50 ft spans on each side.

Or I can get them to come out and cut me the 50ft lengths for about $350.00..but then I'd have to do them myself.

I can't see it being that hard...but I've never done them before.

If I did do it myself...a few questions.

1) Since these 50ft lengths are continuous...what are the steps to putting the up? Do I get 3 step ladders and get it close into position, attach the lower end first, and then slowly increase the slope. Or do I do it with high side first, and then work my way to the low end?

2) What is the proper slope I need for proper installation?

3) What precautions do I need to look for so I don't twist or bend or mess up the new eaves?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I can get someone professional in to replace the eavestrophes on my house...cost is about $800.00 to $1000.00

I have to do the 2 sides, 50 ft spans on each side.

Or I can get them to come out and cut me the 50ft lengths for about $350.00..but then I'd have to do them myself.

I can't see it being that hard...but I've never done them before.

If I did do it myself...a few questions.

1) Since these 50ft lengths are continuous...what are the steps to putting the up? Do I get 3 step ladders and get it close into position, attach the lower end first, and then slowly increase the slope. Or do I do it with high side first, and then work my way to the low end?

2) What is the proper slope I need for proper installation?

3) What precautions do I need to look for so I don't twist or bend or mess up the new eaves?

Thanks for your help.

ello?

Advertisement

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might have to be patient with this question. Most DIYers are buying premade short lengths of gutter from home centers, not having it extruded for them on site. So it might be tough finding someone with any experience on this.

I can't help you much on this, but can tell you that you'll need some special tools and fittings to cap the ends and to make up the holes for the downspouts. It doesn't take much pitch, but you do want it lower at the downspouts.

Not too sure how they punch the holes through the gutter to run fasteners through...I've never paid attention to that part.

At 50' lengths, you'll need about 3 friends helping!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote