Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replace DryVit with Vinyl Siding

We are about to replace all of our windows, as well as the dryvit and stone veneer on the front of our house. Every one of our windows has leaked, and the OSB under the stone and dryvit has rotted in spots (it just crumbles). We want to avoid any possibility of rot in the future, so we are considering using siding instead of stone/dryvit. We like the look of fiber cement board and insulated vinyl, but I have heard that both can trap water behind them and cause rot.

Does anyone have experience with these products? We're leaning toward regular vinyl siding. Which brands are better? We like the idea of combining beaded siding and board and batten to simulate the contrast of the stone/dryvit. How do we visualize this on our house? We're leery of making such a major, permanent change, but we have to make a decision soon.

We're considering Norandex or Alcoa. Does anyone have experience with those?

Thanks!

cakebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Replace DryVit with Vinyl Siding

I'm not familiar with insulated vinyl but have never heard of any problems like you state with regards to fiber cement siding. I have not worked with the fiber cement very much but from the experience I do have I am not a fan. I do not like the way the bottom of the material is left floating. I was always under the impression that Certainteed was the best vinyl siding out there but this may have changed over the years. They had the thickest siding and it held up well with temperature extremes. I would think your local supplier could help you with design and maybe visualizing what it will look like.

Billd62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryvit, moisture, rot, siding, vinyl siding