Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

To replace a door or to NOT replace a door

The hip roof colonial we just bought is 100% adorned with stained wood trim and doors. My wife and I like the new look of white trim and doors, so it's a project I'm going to chip away at. Obviously with all the sanding and prep, I'm looking at a year or two of weekend painting days. I was hoping to take a good chunk out of it by replacing all the doors with prepainted white ones. I've never truly replaced a door, only removed and reinstalled one that was already there.

I looked on HD and Lowes websites last night, and I'm not sure if I want slab or pre hung. If I wanted to use the current hinges, I'd get slab, correct? But I don't believe I have the tools necessary to create the flushed look on the new door (where the hinges mount). I've done tons of home improvement projects (including electricity-stuff, tiling, drywall repair, etc), but I'm not a big carpenter type. I'm hoping for more of a remove-replace type project.

Would I be better off just painting the doors I have? They're not in the best shape and as I said earlier, they're require a lot of prep before painting. I'm willing to spend the money on new doors to save me some time, so don't worry about the financial aspect. I'm just wondering if I'd be getting into something I can't really handle.
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #2

Call up the place that you will purchase the door slab from and ask them if they can route out the locations for door hinges and door knob. If they do perform this work then bring in the old door to them so that they can measure for the locations of the hinges and door knobs. Then install the hinges and door knob.

Measure the dimensions of the old doors to see if they are a standard sized door.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Call up the place that you will purchase the door slab from and ask them if they can route out the locations for door hinges and door knob. If they do perform this work then bring in the old door to them so that they can measure for the locations of the hinges and door knobs. Then install the hinges and door knob.

Measure the dimensions of the old doors to see if they are a standard sized door.
I was just going to go with some inexpensive slab doors from the big box stores. Something like this:

JELD-WEN
24 In. x 80 In. x 1-3/8 In. Hollow Core 6 Panel Moulded Slab Int Door
Model 131511
Price: $31.97

Not sure they'll do the routing for the hinges but I'll ask. I'm also going to measure all my doors tonight. I think I have seven of them.

Last edited by Proulx06; 01-12-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #4

Proulx06.
Quote:
Would I be better off just painting the doors I have?
I gather that you are aware that all new doors require painting as well.

While real-wood doors can be painted with a brush, most other doors require spray painting for a satisfactory finish.

At the big-box home centers the doors on display are professionally spray painted. The doors for purchase are primed only.

...Christopher
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Proulx06.
I gather that you are aware that all new doors require painting as well.

While real-wood doors can be painted with a brush, most other doors require spray painting for a satisfactory finish.

At the big-box home centers the doors on display are professionally spray painted. The doors for purchase are primed only.

...Christopher
I know most of them require it, but I do believe I saw some that were prepainted. Of course, now I can't find them. My other thought was that it would be much easier to paint primed doors than it would be to strip down all the ones I currently have. I don't have a ton of money, but I have more of it than I do free time.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proulx06 View Post
I know most of them require it, but I do believe I saw some that were prepainted. Of course, now I can't find them. My other thought was that it would be much easier to paint primed doors than it would be to strip down all the ones I currently have. I don't have a ton of money, but I have more of it than I do free time.
You're the oposite of me. All the doors and trim in my house are hardwood that has been painted over for a more modern look. I'd love to be able to strip it down and finish it.

Are the stained doors solid wood? If they are do not get rid of them, you would be replacing a $200 door with a $30 one. Even if they're not solid unless you don't like the style of your doors I'd keep them.

When all is said and done painting and replacing will probably take the same amount of time. Figure an hour to an hour and a half a door (not includeing drying time) to remove it, sand it, give it a coat of primer, and give it a topcoat. You're going to spend a couple hours on your first replacement door and once you get an idea of how to do it maybie an hour a door. I wouldn't trust someone to make new doors based off the old ones unless they were doing the work on-site and installing them.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #7

Yeah, all very good points. I talked to the door guy at Lowes last night, and I think replacing all my doors is just going to be as much work as painting the ones I have. Between routing the hinge locations, priming and painting them, I'm not much better off than I am just painting the ones I have. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #8

i installed those 6 panel hollow core doors in the upstairs of my house and i hate them. i had something like 8 doors to buy so the price was very helpfull. but they are a pain in the ass to paint. for some reason it took at least 3 coats to get decent coverage. i even tried priming them first. they are very cheap, and have a hollow sound when opened, closed , or knocked on. in my downstairs renovation i opted ot go with solid pine 6 panel doors and paint them, so far im 100 times happier. i might even replace all of those hollow ones.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #9

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have solid doors right now, too. Yet another reason to keep them and paint them.

I used to own a condo and we painted all the doors there and I recall putting a bazillion coats of paint on them. They must have been hollow.