DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replace Bathtub w/ Shower Only

23K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Darylh 
#1 ·
I have seen some remodelling done where the standard bathtub with tile surround was ripped out and replaced with just one big 60" shower. The questions I have may be stupid...but then again maybe not. After I pull out the tub, via sawzall or whatever means, i'm assuming I would then rough use 3/4 plywood, with 1/2" concrete board ontop of that ? This would give me the floor of the shower..(would need to slope to drain), but then how would I build the lip/side/step (right terminology escapes me) the you step over to get into the shower..simple framing with concrete board to handle the tile ? For the sides I would simple ripout the old tile and replace with concrete board/new tile.

#3 ·
For the lip just frame a short wall to whatever height you want then backerboard and tile. The most important step is to put a shower pan in and install the tile over that. Back in the old days they used lead. The last one that I seen put in was a rubber membrane then they poured a concrete over that (can't remember what it was called ) and sloped it to the drain and installed tile on that. This is not a typical DIY type of project. Alot of things that can go wrong if your not sure of what you are doing.

Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.