Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replace basement sill plate

Hi,

We are in the process of finishing our basement and found a 15' section of sill plate which is rotten. This happened because an outdoor sidewalk next to the house had settled and sloped towards the house, this has been repaired. Anyway I now need to replace the sill plate before finishing that part of the basement. The house is a 55 year old 1 story ranch with basement.

What is the best way to go about this and hire someone may be the answer, but I always try to do something myself if possible. Can I build a temp wall; remove the rotten sill plate and pound in a new board? Or because of the weight of the wall above the rim joist do I need to jack up the floor joist a 1/8" to have the space to fit in the new board.

Thanks for the help,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Replace basement sill plate-img_2008.jpg   Replace basement sill plate-img_2009.jpg  

Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Temp wall. Nail your topplate to the bottom of your joists and plumb down for your bottom plate. If you cut your studs and 1/8th of an inch long and tap them into place, you'll get enough room to work. If not, grab a pair of screw posts from HD

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

What devildog is describing is called a 'Jack Wall'---Make the studs a bit long --toe nail them at the top--(right below the floor joist)
beat them into position with a sledge hammer--a little at a time-(to raise the house evenly)

I've used these many times--I use 2x6 for a heavy lift--Be careful--never try for more than 1 inch of lift at a time.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've used these many times--I use 2x6 for a heavy lift--Be careful--never try for more than 1 inch of lift at a time.--Mike--
Mike, I've done this a few times and do it in 1/8" increments. Doing 1" at once will crack everything above it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2011), tpolk (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
DIY staff

What was I thinking---I have gone more than 1/8 on a lift--but you are both right--1" would shatter the studs--and be dangerous---Thanks--
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the help. I went to rent a house jack but can't find a place that rents them, so I may end up using the jack wall method.
Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
DIY staff

The jack wall is easier and safer than house jacks---In a crawl space there is no choice--

You have room--I think the ease of lifting the house that little bit will surprise you.--Mike--
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoleman6 View Post
Thanks for the help. I went to rent a house jack but can't find a place that rents them, so I may end up using the jack wall method.
I've used a combination of a 20 ton bottle jack($60.00 at Sears) and a support wall. The jack lifts it up and the wall keeps it there until you're done. I screw 4x4's along the jack line to the ceiling joists. Build the stud wall the way Mike described and just tap them into place as I go along the line. Screw them in place and add some diagonal bracing.
After you're done with the sill plate, just reverse the process.
Jacking rates will vary with conditions. With plaster walls, go slowly. Near a tiled bath, go very slowly. Best case scenario would be a house with sheetrock.
But don't expect to get by with no patch work. There's usually a crack or 2 that shows up.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote