DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Reparing "Live Bait Well" Cement walls (

Roaddog 07-09-2009 02:20 PM

Reparing "Live Bait Well" Cement walls
I have a 1927 cottage with loads of project opportunities, one being repairing an old outside, in-ground bait well.
Roughly the well is 36" x 14" x 14" deep. Water gently flows in one side and out the other.... It has 2 x 4 frame wood top and 1each 2 x 8 wood on each of the 4 sides with approx. 2" to 3" concrete walls and bottom.

My problem is the concrete, especially on one vertical length is crumbling and has grass coming out of the top surface.
I can remove the water and I think can stop the incoming water for a "while" if needed. Even so the water only trickles, so would take a couple days to fill back up. (Also the well has water in it most of the year and the location is Ohio.)

Now the question is what would be the best concrete or other material to fix the problem. I already have some plywood cut for forms so I could fill between it and the concrete surface. I was going to drill some holes in the deteriorating surface and place some nails or something so the new concrete would secure onto the old??
Lastly I don't know if it then needs any sealer as this has lasted maybe 60+ years with none....

Any recommendations would sure be appreciated.....

joed 07-09-2009 04:29 PM

Hydraulic cement.
Find an old concrete laundry tub and replace the whole thing? Use hydraulic cement to plug the drain hole.

Jamamros 07-09-2009 06:02 PM

My boss and I recently repaired a man's home from flooding using hydraulic cement. You mix it with water (very quickly as it dries very quickly) and apply it where needed.

Now for a sealer. As an amateur (i guess since i've only been doing it 2 years,) I can still give you the best answer. I'm not very sure if it's cost-effective to you, but I do know the absolute best product you can use. Also this is only if you plan on the livewell being filled and used again. It is a product called CIM-500. Sometimes called Dal-CIM 500. It's an elastomeric product that they use in the military also, for water resevoirs. Basically, you roll it, or trowel it, let it dry (very quickly.. you have to mix it and use it in 15 minutes.. As it starts to dry, it becomes very stringy as if it were a polymer hardening)

Other great products that you could look into would be HLM 5000, and Hydrozo products. You can find information on these products at

All of the products are EXTREMELY easy to work with. You just trowel or roll them on with a paint roller.

I don't officially know the price of the products (because i'm technically a laborer still) but I do recall my boss saying the CIM-500 ran around $140 per 1 gallon, and $400 per 5 gallons.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1