Repairing Support Beams On Beach House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
js1

Rewards Points: 10

repairing support beams on beach house

I have a beach house supported by 8"x8"x12' high marine grade wooden beams (stilts, piers). The harsh environment, and age has caused some rot that has deteriorated down to ~3x3 at the base where it touches the concrete slab on about 7 of the total of 40 supports. They look to have been placed into the ground ~2-3 ft and then concrete poured around them and then a concrete slab was poured. I know I could cut out a 3x3x3 area and replace the beam, foundaton, etc. but I really dont want to do that unless I have too. It would not hurt to raise the floor so I thought about just leaving them and pouring a new 7" rebar reinforced pad and attaching with A24 simpson strong tie L brackets and anchors. I have also seen where people jack up the house, support it temporarily and then cut off the post and just pour a small concrete base/plinth. However in my case the post go 2-3 feet into the ground and after I cut them off the old portion is still going to be in the ground so I am not sure how to disperse the load away from the rotten post left in the ground? Also thought if I placed another support metal or wood beside it. Suggestions PLEASE.

Advertisement

js1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

My suggestion is to get real professionals involved in this as this is not anywhere near a DIY project.

Andy.

Advertisement

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via MSN to reality

I have to go along with Andy on this. I have built many homes like yours and your post go down more than 2 or 3 feet they are pounded in. They start out just like a telephone pole and are driven down. Call a pro for this.
reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello and welocm Js1, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

I have to go with the earlier responses, at least to have a proffessional over to make recommendations, after which you may not want to touch the job yourself.

Sure would be nice to see some pics, I think this is a real interesting one.

Mark