Repairing Sump Pit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repairing Sump Pit

Our house is 12 years old. The basement has 2 sump pits. One is a normal sump pit to remove groundwater and one is for a bathroom...a sewage ejector pump.

The problem I have is with this sewage pit. I don't have a bathroom in my basement, and do not plan on it, however this pump has been running. Upon investigation, the problem is where the 3" or 4" PVC drain (from what would be a toilet) comes through the side of the pit (under the basement floor). I don't know how these are installed but it appears that there may be a gasket that goes around the PVC on the outside of the pit. The groundwater is getting between the PVC and this gasket and seeping into the pit. There are 4 bolts on the inside of the pit, which I assume hold the gasket...I have tried tightening those. The pump runs about every 10 mins in the spring or when we have saturated ground due to rain.

The reason I am worried about it is because it is now another sump pump that I have to watch and make sure it doesn't quit (basement is finished) Or when power goes out I don't have a battery backup on it. The pump is as old as the house.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know if there is a way to fix it? I would like to fix it so I don't have to worry about the pump running...or not running!
Thanks
Chris

Advertisement

cbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,476

Repairing Sump Pit

here's the real problem - this sump's connected to the sanitary system & ( in most jurisdictions ) its illegal to pump anything BUT sewage,,, replace the discharge line so it pumps legally ( to the top of the ground OR a leader drain ) & forget trying to stop the leaking water

battery backups are approx $250 incl marine storage battery & charger,,, we like water powered backups ( $400 ) as its more common for elec to fail during storm rather than municipal wtr supply.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Repairing Sump Pit

That may be what I do instead of trying to fix the leak. I do need to get it from pumping in the sanitary sewer as it is illegal here as well!

Thanks
cbridges is offline   Reply With Quote