Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing stucco felt paper

We had some slight water damage to drywall which caused some mold. Just had it removed today and they found the felt paper was destroyed in a couple areas due to a hole two holes in the stucco. Appears that there were areas missed during construction. You cant see them as they are under a alcove in the front of the house. looks like perhaps the sprinker in the planter could have been pushing water into the hole in the stucco and that destroyed the paper.

So there are 3 areas 16" x 16" between the studs that now have no felt paper. Is my only option to break all the stucco off from the outside and re-paper and re-stucco? The mold people said something about a rubberized roll product used for roofing and window sealing that I could put on the inside? We think the issue was from two small holes in the stucco under the wood bench, the prior owner washed the window and stucco down frequently which would hit the window wash down and go into the small holes. After years of this the paper got destroyed.

I don't want to open this wall up again, any help would be appreciated.

Here are the photos.

The white area on the interior picture is white paint on the stucco, these are the areas where the felt paper was destroyed. Some people have told me to just cut felt paper to fit these areas and use adhesive to hold them in place, others say I have break the stucco on the outside and add paper under the lath then restucco???

Last edited by titan7; 02-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

the felt paper is mostly to prevent moisture from wicking out of the stucco as it dries and onto your sheathing.
just cut a square of felt paper to fit in as tight as you can. nail up some metal lathe and re-stucco it. the stucco is not "waterproof," but it will shed the water in a vertical application. just make sure there are no holes and the sprinkler isn't blasting it 24/7!

if you're really concerned, you can chip off a bit of stucco, lift up the lathe edges, and try to slide the paper under what's there.

edit: i'm now a bit confused. from the inside, what do you see? sheathing? how big are the holes in teh stucco outside?

Last edited by wombosi; 02-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
the felt paper is mostly to prevent moisture from wicking out of the stucco as it dries and onto your sheathing.
just cut a square of felt paper to fit in as tight as you can. nail up some metal lathe and re-stucco it. the stucco is not "waterproof," but it will shed the water in a vertical application. just make sure there are no holes and the sprinkler isn't blasting it 24/7!

if you're really concerned, you can chip off a bit of stucco, lift up the lathe edges, and try to slide the paper under what's there.

edit: i'm now a bit confused. from the inside, what do you see? sheathing? how big are the holes in teh stucco outside?
Yes, from the inside. We removed the drywall and the paper was just disentagrating from two small holes in the stucco 1"x1/2". The prior owner used to power wash the house. I am guessing this is where the problem occured as water got into the hole and trashed the paper. The house is 33 years old. I have been here 11 yrs.

The holes have been fixed, but do I really need to break out the stucco from the outside and re-paper, and stucco?? Is there any other option to fix from the inside?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

i would leave it alone if it's under an alcove and not subjected to rain.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

pictures now added
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

may be in an alcove but that is a heck of a projecting sillactually the paper is the secondary water barrier
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote