Repairing A Shed. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

repairing a shed.

So I'm repairing a shed to make it a small clubhouse. It that is probably only a few years old. I'm fairly bad at anything to do with construction but I feel that I can do this with your help. It is in bad shape right now. Its made of wood and it the wood is covered in mold. Can I just clean it with bleach and then insulate it and put drywall up on the inside? And put t1-11 over on the outside? Also last year we were having problems with groundhogs and they were underneath the shed. I don't know if the floor is messed up underneath but it looks fine on the inside. the ground hogs are gone now but I fear there is damage. I was thinking I could lay some cement on the inside of the shed and put tile down. Is this a bad idea? What should I do? I can't afford to tear down the shed.

Advertisement

Toni25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

repairing a shed.

You need to insulate unless you are conditioning the space. Are you adding heat? what is the source? If you are proposing to install ceramic tile on a cement base be sure that the floor is not going to flex. You need a very stiff floor system to keep ceramic from cracking or popping loose. Can you post some photos, if so it will help the forum to provide suggestions. good luck.

Advertisement

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
Toni25 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

repairing a shed.

I should proof read before I post. That first sentence was meant to say You don't need to insulate unless you are conditioning the space.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

repairing a shed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamper View Post
You need to insulate unless you are conditioning the space. Are you adding heat? what is the source? If you are proposing to install ceramic tile on a cement base be sure that the floor is not going to flex. You need a very stiff floor system to keep ceramic from cracking or popping loose. Can you post some photos, if so it will help the forum to provide suggestions. good luck.
I have zero experience in this kind of stuff. I figured that if I put insulation in it would just keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Im not going to pit electricity in it or anything so I guess ill have to deal with it. I don't know how to put pictures up on here. The floor looks like it has 2 by 4s and then some plywood laid on top? If I can figure out how to get pics up I will asap.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

repairing a shed.

The insulation would probably help keep in the body heat that is generated, but you don't want to leave the insulation exposed on the inside so you need to then cover it up with something. If you are going to put T 1-11 on the exterior you could put up rigid foam board first and then the T 1-11. Make sure the nails don't come through to injure the children. If you have a 2 X 4 floor frame, even with a short span it is hard to think the tile will hold up, but it is a clubhouse, try it with lots of mud and if it doesn't work you can go to a Plan "B". You might want to try to elevate it off the ground to keep critters from moving in beneath it or in the insulated walls.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

repairing a shed.

So I should put foam up on the outside of the shed and then put t1-11 on the foam? And on the inside insulation? I was thinking of putting drywall over the insulation on the inside.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

repairing a shed.

How would I elevate it?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

repairing a shed.

Either jacks, e.g. "farm jacks", or a lever and fulcrum. I have used a 14' long 3" tubular steel beam and with enough weight on the effort end you can move the load end up and have someone place some concrete block beneath the shed. If you can get someone to post a photo it would help in providing direction to elevate the shed. If you are insulating the wall and finishing the inside so that the insulation is not exposed then I don't think that it is necessary to install foam on the exterior.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 712

repairing a shed.

Without some pictures all your going to get is a bunch of guess and waste your time and money.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

repairing a shed.

You haven't said how big the shed is, or what it is sitting on, or posted any pictures so we can see if it is even built well enough to jack, and you are asking us how to elevate it. The best anyone can do in this case is to quote Archimedes. Insulation retards the flow of heat, it does not produce it.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote