Repairing Sagging Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

repairing sagging foundation

A couple weeks ago I discovered the back corner of my house has sagged about 1.5 to 2 inches over a distance of about 20 ft(measured using a string level). The problem footing also has 2 cracks plus one loose piece near back corner(it moves if I push on it). Please attached pics.

The house was built in 1949, on slab(no crawlspace), about 1100 sq ft.

I had 4 contractors here to inspect and give estimates. Their recommendations varied quite a bit. Here's their suggestions.

contractor 1. - do underpinning by digging 4 holes along the current footing, go about 2 ft deep, put rebar, pour in new concrete and bolt it to the old footing.

contractor 2 - no underpinning neccessary, my problem is far away from that. just patch up the cracks, remove the loose piece and pour in new concrete, then jack up the house. $4500.

contractor 3 - major surgery. temporarily suspense the wall, cut off affected interior flooring and slab, meaning about 14 ft long and 4 ft wide (into the house) and pour in new footing and slab.

contractor 4 - similar to #2 but with padding before pour in new concrete.

So what's a good solution to my problem? Although we plan to live in this house for a very long time, but we don't want to waste money by overkilling it. Is contractor #2 a proper fix ? would like to get some opinions on the different suggestions. Thanks in advance.
added: I don't mind the uneven floor. My main goal is to stop the sagging and repair the footing.

btw, there's a couple possible causes of the sagging.
#1 the walkway is sloped, so it ponds when it rains.
#2 the main outlet leak (where the cast iron connects to the clay under the footing) which has been fixed a few months ago. I changed it to abs.
#3 overwatering from neighbor. I'll probably put in a french drain soon.
Attached Thumbnails
repairing sagging foundation-problem-illustrated.jpg   repairing sagging foundation-crack1-closeup3.jpg   repairing sagging foundation-crack1-panout.jpg   repairing sagging foundation-crack2-closeup.jpg   repairing sagging foundation-crack2-panout.jpg  

repairing sagging foundation-crack3-panout2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by oldhouse49; 09-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.
oldhouse49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,176

You don't state where you live, but I am going to guess you live in expansive clay country, possibly Texas or Louisiana. Anyway, all discussions about how to fix a problem need to start with a scientific understanding of the cause of the problem, else you are shooting in the dark, and are unlikely to stumble on the best solution.

If you are in expansive clay country, your problems are very common, and are due to differential movement of the soil due to changes in soil moisture content. However, I am going to wait for you to identify your location before going any further, since there are other possible causes of the problems you are showing, and the best solution varies drastically depending on the cause.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The house is built on top of red clay & pipe clay & there has been a considerable drought in our area for quite some time.
aaae83@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaae83@live.com View Post
The house is built on top of red clay & pipe clay & there has been a considerable drought in our area for quite some time.
So...you are oldhouse49 too?

Daniel got it right then, you must be around the Austin TX. area?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
So...you are oldhouse49 too?

Daniel got it right then, you must be around the Austin TX. area?

Andy.

I live in Artesia/cerritos area in CA.

thx
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You don't state where you live, but I am going to guess you live in expansive clay country, possibly Texas or Louisiana. Anyway, all discussions about how to fix a problem need to start with a scientific understanding of the cause of the problem, else you are shooting in the dark, and are unlikely to stumble on the best solution.

If you are in expansive clay country, your problems are very common, and are due to differential movement of the soil due to changes in soil moisture content. However, I am going to wait for you to identify your location before going any further, since there are other possible causes of the problems you are showing, and the best solution varies drastically depending on the cause.
my house is located in Artesia/cerritos area in CA.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #8

can anyone chime in?

Advertisement