DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   repairing rotted sill (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/repairing-rotted-sill-17664/)

dwlodyka 02-26-2008 07:55 AM

repairing rotted sill
 
Hello,

This is my first post so I'd like to say hello before getting to my question.

I'm fairly adept at using power tools, am very patient and tend to over think problems.

A friend asked me to look at a foundation sill at his house. He has complained in the past about water seeping in over the foundation in the past. His sills consist of a double layer of 2"X6"s (I think). Sure enough, there is rot to the bottom sill in one corner of his garrison. The rot extends to just under the first joist on the weight bearing side and about six feet on the gable (non-weight bearing side). The sills are accessible from the interior of the unfinished basement. When I look at the sill, it looks as if it has dropped about 1/4" on corner, mostly on the gable side. From looking at the problem, I think that it would be possible to remove the rotted portion of the lower sill portion by using drills with extensions, and longer handled chisels, etc. I would use other tools such as a sawsall to cut nails, etc. Bottom line, I think that with patience it can be accomplished.

I have been gathering as much information as I possibly can about jacking the house the 1/4" or so. Based on my reading, I think that I have a good understanding for the use of jacks, beams and steel plates to distribute the load. However...

I'm looking for the following:

Does anyone have a good article or other reading that I might use to further my knowledge? Knowledge is power.

Have you ever replaced a rotted sill? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Dennis

AtlanticWBConst. 02-26-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwlodyka (Post 101864)
This is my first post so I'd like to say hello before getting to my question.

Hi Dennis

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwlodyka (Post 101864)
... sills consist of a double layer of 2"X6"s (I think). Sure enough, there is rot to the bottom sill in one corner of his garrison. The rot extends to just under the first joist on the weight bearing side and about six feet on the gable (non-weight bearing side). The sills are accessible from the interior of the unfinished basement. When I look at the sill, it looks as if it has dropped about 1/4" on corner, mostly on the gable side. From looking at the problem, I think that it would be possible to remove the rotted portion of the lower sill portion by using drills with extensions, and longer handled chisels, etc. I would use other tools such as a sawsall to cut nails, etc. Bottom line, I think that with patience it can be accomplished.
..... Does anyone have a good article or other reading that I might use to further my knowledge? Knowledge is power.

Past discussion Link:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/how-fix-rotted-sill-plate-7096/

Dennis,
This is actually not a difficult job. Do your bracing, dig out the rotted material good, and replace properly. You should consider the possibility of jacking up that area and get the lost 1/4" back, if it is structurally possible. If you have tiled floors above it, that could pop or crack a few(?).

Good luck

Ron6519 02-26-2008 04:54 PM

Before I would undertake the sill issue, you need to deal with the water over the foundation issue. It makes no sense to fix the sill and ignore the source of the problem.
Ron

AtlanticWBConst. 02-26-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 102064)
Before I would undertake the sill issue, you need to deal with the water over the foundation issue. It makes no sense to fix the sill and ignore the source of the problem.
Ron

Yep...:yes:

dwlodyka 02-27-2008 07:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. For the short term, until the ground unfreezes, I essentially sealed the area by pouring sand in and around the area where the water seaps. We had a good rain last night and we had no water seepage. Once the ground thaws, I'm going to have to regrade the area as suggested.

One question about jacking the corner. Because the rotted sill is under the rim joist on the gable end, I will not be able to get a piece of timber under that joist to support it. If I place the timber under the the first three floor joists and jack them, will the rim joist on the gable end come up as well?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved