Repairing Front Entrance - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Repairing front entrance

These houses were built in 1960
All the houses of this design suffer the same fault to a greater or lesser degree. The photos show the very worst case.
The iron pole goes through the step & rests on a cinder block wall that appears to be a continuation of the foundation.The pole extends to the roof, but I dont think it a support.
The close up picture( sorry about the quality) shows the crumbling block & the rusting metal plate.
My personal thought is that water has penetrated the outside wall, got into the foundation blocks, frozen & thawed in our extreme climate, & over time cracked up the blocks.
The concrete steps seem to be self supporting.
The condition of my own house is far better than the one shown, but has cracks in the parging, & indications of loose cement in between blocks.
I'm thinking along these lines.

Remove the iron pole.Cutting it off at step level.
Drilling a 4 inch hole through the wall , on a line with the block foundation wall & then push as much concrete in as I possibly can.
Finishing off by re-parging the out side wall.

When this stage is complete, I would like to know your thoughts on this idea?
For me to replace the iron pole with a square metal column.Resting on the lower step
Morter in cinder blocks to raise the out-side edge of the steps, even along the top. & then install a patio door-like, glass frame,as a shield from winter snow that always blankets the entrance.
Thank you in advance, for your ideas & criticism.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing front entrance-dsc00084.jpg   Repairing front entrance-dsc00083.jpg   Repairing front entrance-dsc00082.jpg  

Advertisement

jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Pro

Repairing front entrance

Remove/dispose existing, go all new using better construction method w/o hollow cinders

Advertisement

Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #3

Repairing front entrance

Can any knowledgeable D.I.Yourselfer give me advice on this? Thank you
jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote