Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Repairing dry wall and matching texture?

I installed a whole house fan and the first one I installed was a good job and know drywall was going to need any repairs.
Now here's the screwed up part.The fan was not near big enough
so I had to get a bigger one and it mounted diffrent so now I have
about a sq foot hole I need to patch.I am pretty pissed at the fan
manurfacture since they said the first fan would be good for the
sq footage of our home.Well thats another story and now I need
to patch this whole.
I have the piece I cut out and I have read on line how to get a peice
of ply wood and screw it in behind for something to screw the patching peice to.
That part does not seem to hard.The finishing part seems like it might be pretty hard to blend it in.
Ok I just scraped the popcorn and retextured the ceiling with a heavy orange peel texture about three or four months ago so I know the nozzle size on the hopper gun and I have a hopper gun unless It would be better to just get one of those cans of areasol texture from lowes
to do a little area like this?
I am also wondering would I want to get a new piece to put up there?
That way I can texture the whole peice and the taped area with out it being raised up from having a little more texture than the rest of the ceiling.
Do I need to take a bigger area than the cutout area and remove some of the texture.Like say 6 inches or more and feather it in.
I am sure I do not want to spray any texture on existing texture or else it will be raised up.
How do I go about this?
Thanks Doug

Doug Crf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
IHI

Rewards Points: 75

Repairing dry wall and matching texture?

Blending textures and repair area's is a art to say the least since it's very difficult to match exact to what was sprayed/applied when the home was built. You can only do the best you can do and like the drywall business in general your not going to make it blend perfectly, but your going to try and hide perfectly.

Without seeing what you've left yourself for a base to fix I guess it'd be easier to just say remove the previously repaired section all together and start from scratch. When your scraping existing popcorn remove it at least 12-16" past the joint of the new filler piece. The further you can feather/blend the repair out the better it will hide since your not concentrating the repair into a small area, but rather a broader area so it distracts the eye.

As far as texturing repairs, we've always just used spray cans-waay too much trouble and mess to set-up the hopper. This in itself takes alot of practice since every manufacturer has a different tip, can pressure which all change the way the repaired texture will shoot from the can and be applied to the repair area. If nothing else buy an extra can or 2 and be like the pro's...use a scrap piece of drywall and make some practice runs until you get it as close as possible to what your repairing....it's all you can realistically do without redoing the entire ceiling. If you get it close and then get it painted 99% of the time nobody but you will know any different, only because you know exactly what it is you did and where you did it...other than that it'll blend in so nobody else has a clue.