Repair/ Support Garage Rafters - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repair/ support garage rafters

So I just bought this house and of corse the inspector missed this upon many other things. The garage is 17' wide by 20' deep. For the most part everything seems to be constructed well, but the previous owner damaged the rafter/ joist? Not real familiar with the terminology but as you can see they tried to fix one of the splitting beams by bolting a 2x4 on both sides of it. There are 3 beams that are cracked/splitting that need to be repaired. I would really like to put some light storage on these beams when finished; Christmas decorations, old boxes, but nothing real heavy. I was wondering what a good solution to this problem would be and what else I would have to do to make it usable. I have read some similar stories and sintering the cracked areas with plywood or 2x6 pieces has been a common solution. Also maybe running a header type beam across the middle of the beams to help support the load was an idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to rectify this problem as soon as I can. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Repair/ support garage rafters-image-3976583752.jpg  

Advertisement

posty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Moved to Building and Construction forum.

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the Forum!

it appears from what I can see in your photo the 2x are acting as rafter ties to prevent rafter thrust from pushing out the tops of the load bearing walls. the simple fix would be install another 2x along side that one.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair/ support garage rafters-image-1710923429.jpg   Repair/ support garage rafters-image-3551852558.jpg  
posty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 702

Those were never designed for any form of storage or down loading.
I'd guess someone tryed using one to lift something, like the the front of a lawn mower or and engine, anyone guess what they did.
For storage you would need to use something like 2 X 10's at least every 24" or build a center wall or beam to support it.
I'd also bet there's no foam baffles under that insulation which will super heat the roof.
There should have been baffles, soffit vent and a ridge vent.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I don't think that's a big deal. As mentioned above, they're to keep the outside walls from pushing out. As long as the cracked beam is securely tied across the crack, it shoud last. A repair / nail plate would have been a better choice than some boards.

If you want storage, maybe this will help... these beams were similar. Upgrade to 2x6's (or bigger) and put them every 2' to match the spacing of your rafters. Hurricane tie the rafters to the joists to the top plates. You probly just have toenailed rafters there. You might need just over 20' lengths to sit on the top plate on both ends which will be hard to find. We had to order from a lumber yard.

Of course put in as many new ones as you can first. When you're sure your walls are safely tied together, then replace the old ones.

Before:

After:

Last edited by SquishyBall; 04-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

What was the home inspectors name, Mo, Larry, or Curly?

And as a general question, how the hell do these guys get away with calling themselves inspectors ?????

Observers, maybe. Ignorant Observers, Probably. But Inspectors?????

This guy did not even know enough about what he was looking at to recommend a structural engineer ?????

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote