Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

Repair or replace sheetrock?

I am considering getting a basement waterproofing system installed and it requires that the sheetrock be cut away to 8" vertically from the floor.

I want to know if I can have the sheetrock repaired after the works or do I have to get the entire lot replaced?

This will require a great deal of work either way as my basement is 182 feet measured around the perimeter.

Thanks.
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
I am considering getting a basement waterproofing system installed and it requires that the sheetrock be cut away to 8" vertically from the floor.

I want to know if I can have the sheetrock repaired after the works or do I have to get the entire lot replaced?

This will require a great deal of work either way as my basement is 182 feet measured around the perimeter.

Thanks.
I believe by the way you are describing this, you must mean 'horizontally across'. Cutting out horizontal length strips of sheetrock, at 8" width, up from the floor level.

Yes, you can have that lower area of 8" width sheetrock replaced and re-taped. You do not have to take off anymore sheetrock than that.

We have done a million of these when dealing with water damage and having to replace the lower areas of sheetrock and baseboard.

KEY: Make sure that the 'cut out areas' are nice and STRAIGHT across...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Yea, just repair. Nice clean cut will make it easier.

Consider this - BEST way to control water is from outside first.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I believe by the way you are describing this, you must mean 'horizontally across'. Cutting out horizontal length strips of sheetrock, at 8" width, up from the floor level.

Yes, you can have that lower area of 8" width sheetrock replaced and re-taped. You do not have to take off anymore sheetrock than that.

We have done a million of these when dealing with water damage and having to replace the lower areas of sheetrock and baseboard.

KEY: Make sure that the 'cut out areas' are nice and STRAIGHT across...
Yes, horizontally across (my vertical description clearly showing the sign of a novice ). That is good news!

Thanks so much for putting my mind at rest; now to find someone who can cut straight!!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Yea, just repair. Nice clean cut will make it easier.

Consider this - BEST way to control water is from outside first.
Brik,

we only appear to have hydrostatic pressure making small amounts of water come up through the concrete floor (nothing in the walls).

I am working on making sure the guttering is doing its job and have any downpipes that don't go to drains emptying at least 4 feet from the house.

We only moved in here in November so I don't know how well it is going to handle any large downpours. The internal French Drain approach should add another level of security I hope. The sump pump is constantly shifting water (about every 15 minutes normally and 5 minutes during rain).
Anyway, how else could I spend $10k in a matter of days
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Handyguy

Yea - The interior drain is for when the water table under the slab rises above the trip point of the sump pump. Its not for ground water. Ground water is taken care of by downspout extensions, an exterior perimeter drain, exterior waterproofing membrane, dry wells or daylight drains and of course, the most important thing - proper grading.

If you do not have all those things taken care of OUTSIDE then its my opinion that you are probably wasting money inside. 90% of basement water problems can be taken care of by doing the things I mentioned. Interior drains are just moving water that should never be there in the first place.

I'll try an analogy - If you had water puddling on the floor of your car every time it rained. Would you drill a hole to drain it out or install a pump to pump it out? No - You would have it fixed so you don't get water in in the first place. You house should be the same thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #7

Hmm!

Just when I thought I had it all worked out

So if the only moisture we get is that which seeps up through the concrete then isn't that water coming from underneath the concrete and not from, say the water seeping in down the side of the foundation? I would hate to spend that 10k on something I don't need but isolating the problem is the key to that I guess.

Thanks in advance Brik.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Handyguy

If the water is from a high water table. Meaning your basement floor is below that point at which a well could be dug to, then a system that ensures that water is going into a sump is good. You mention you already have a sump and that it runs a lot. That says to me that this water, if from a high water table, if you have that, is already being mitigated by the pump. Do you see water on top of the floor?

Take some pictures. I'm curious.

If you do not have at least 1/4 inch of slope per foot of grade around the entire house for at least 10 or 12 feet then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If your downspouts leak then wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If your downspouts do not extend to the street or a large capacity drywell that is far from the house or at least 10 or 12 feet then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If you have window wells that aren't covered properly then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

Those things are not expensive at all and may completely fix your problem. If I did all that I would spend the money doing an outside perimeter french drain that slopes to daylight if at all possible. If you cant go to daylight then a large drywell at the farthest point on your propery. ideally this drain will be at or below the footing and below the level of slab. While its being installed I would use a rubber membraine on the exterior foundation walls. That would be a better 10K spent in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
If the water is from a high water table. Meaning your basement floor is below that point at which a well could be dug to, then a system that ensures that water is going into a sump is good. You mention you already have a sump and that it runs a lot. That says to me that this water, if from a high water table, if you have that, is already being mitigated by the pump. Do you see water on top of the floor?

Take some pictures. I'm curious.

If you do not have at least 1/4 inch of slope per foot of grade around the entire house for at least 10 or 12 feet then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If your downspouts leak then wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If your downspouts do not extend to the street or a large capacity drywell that is far from the house or at least 10 or 12 feet then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

If you have window wells that aren't covered properly then I wouldn't spend the 10K yet.

Those things are not expensive at all and may completely fix your problem. If I did all that I would spend the money doing an outside perimeter french drain that slopes to daylight if at all possible. If you cant go to daylight then a large drywell at the farthest point on your propery. ideally this drain will be at or below the footing and below the level of slab. While its being installed I would use a rubber membraine on the exterior foundation walls. That would be a better 10K spent in my opinion.
I'll post a couple of pictures later Brik and respond to your post questions then too. Thanks for your detailed contribution to date.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #10

Floor after 1st layer of tiles removed.

Floor with both layers removed. The wall on the left is a false wall; the depth approx. 3 feet.

Ground outside is about 4 inches below bottom of this window.

There was an almost fishy smell coming form this section of the basement and when I stood on some tiles I notices water weeping between the tiles. I removed the first layer and there was water there; there was also water below the second layer.

Since running the dehumidifier I have not encountered any further water on the floor where the tiles are removed. I have not took up any more tiles. Te other rooms appear to be fine though the middle room is built on a subfloor so anything could be going on under there.

Any thoughts you can share are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3144_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3143_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3142_1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Handyguy

I'm also curous to see the outside of the house nearest to the area with the water. Wide enough shot to see the gutters and grade near that wall.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #12

Hope these help.

I can confirm that there is no leakage through the Bilco doors. The way the roof slopes towards the back door (this part is an extension of an exisitng 1950's ranch) means that a large volume of water hits the gutter in that 90 degree part. We haven't had heavy rain yet but I can imagine it would overflow the gutter.

I appreciate your continuing input. I have a plan of the basement whcih would show the exisiting layout and where the sump pump is which I will try to scan and post too.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3146_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3147_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3148_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3149_1.jpg   Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3145_1.jpg  

Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Handyguy

Repair or replace sheetrock?-img_3145_1.jpg

Do you get any puddling to the left of the steps in this picture?
is that concrete path that goes around a lot of the house pitched away from the house?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #14

A little bit of puddling there but not a lot. (The metal poles there are for a fence, they don't usually reside there.

The concrete does slope away but you know what just occured to me is this:

my son's little bench gets very wet during any rain (I really should take it in) and behind that is the section of wall that runs down into the basement to the false wall I mentioned earlier. It might be that water is getting in there and running under the false wall and permeating the tiles that way rather than actually coming up through the floor.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
Handyguy

Yes! It makes sense. If you get some puddling and a lot of water in that corner and it gets behind the brick porch, between the porch landing and wall, between the asphalt and concrete, between the concrete and wall, etc I would definateely fix that first. Put a level on the porch to see what kind of pitch you have away from the wall behind the bench. If you have none or its pitched toward that wall then what do you think will happen when it rains? You also have two roof sections coming together there. All the water from the roof must be handled by the gutter in that inside corner plus all the water that hits the porch must run off, and away from the foundation. Any water that runs toward the wall will end up in the basement. If its warm enough take a hose up to the roof, in the valley above that corner. let the water run down the valley. If the water goes over the gutter and not into it then thats a problem.

They make splash guards to help with this problem

http://www.gutterworks.com/gutter_splash_guards.htm

Anyway - To make this short. I think you might be able to mitigate most of the water from the outside. The interior system you are talking about will likely keep your basement dry too. It will just be removing water that shouldn't get there in the first place.

Look for another post by someone who is having an interior system put in and has pictures. Here is their post Wet Basement being fixed (pics)