Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Repair interior shear wall

I've had to have my house re-piped due to multiple pin holes in the type "M" copper pipe. Several "experts" opined that the damage looked like it was due to flux runs from the acidic flux used 22 years ago. In any event, I now have to have my walls repaired, and one interior wall is a shear wall. We're in California and have a two-story home. One pro drywaller says he feels he should repair the shear plywood, cutting out and blocking as required. Another says only if 25% or more of the shear panel has been removed. Here is a picture of the cut-outs. I'd appreciate getting opinions on the need to repair the shear versus just nailing up plywood. The drywall on top of the shear panel is 5/8".
I've attached the picture.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair interior shear wall-fam_rm_south_wall.jpg  

marv44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Just a humble opinion here, but I would think the time/work involved replacing the entire plywood panel and drywall would be about the same as patching the many openings in your wall (cutting to size, nailing down, taping around, mudding, etc). I could absolutely be wrong, but yea.

JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

The shear wall on that wall can not be "patched".
If you have the original as-built drawings on this plan the city may allow you to repair it as it was considering why you have to but you should ask them.

What city in California?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

We're in Torrance. I don't want to have to take the whole wall down!! It also extends further to the left behind the custom cabinetry.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Residential Designer

I have dealt with Torrance, they are sticklers for having all the proper documentation.

IF it is important to you to have some assurance of safety then you should take the pictures to the city and ask them what they will require to have this fixed.

I suspect that at the least they will require the entire sheet of shear panel to be replaced as it was. That would mean protecting all the pipes in the walls with plates and nailing the shear as per the original schedule, provided you can find and show them the original as-built plans.

Possibly they will want new engineering which means new plans for the wall and hiring an engineer.

I don't mean to scare you with any of this but it is needed to be safe.

Why did the plumbers cut into this side rather than the other side? Probably because of all the fixtures on the other side it was ultimately easier to do the repair form the shear-wall side?

Andy.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

There was a bathtub and tile on the other side, and a large mirror that covered the wall above the sink. They could have gotten to the lav plumbing but not the bathtub plumbing without removing tile. And yes, it was easier to do it this way. Nobody suspected that this was a shear wall previously. I don't know where the plans are for this house. We've only lived here for five years. The old pipes were left in place. No plates were there, and none were removed. I'm also told that electricians and plumbers regularly cut out sections of shear walls in new contstruction.

I suspect that replacing the whole wall would be quite expensive.

Last edited by marv44; 01-23-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Most likely you would not have to take the whole wall down, just the drywall and shear panel that was notched, then re-nail.

Andy.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #8

I can see no logical reason why they would want you take the whole wall down. As the other poster stated removing and replacing the plywood with the same grade and thickness will make it whole again.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

How big are the shear panels typically? 4x8?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I can see no logical reason why they would want you take the whole wall down. As the other poster

stated removing and replacing the plywood with the same grade and thickness will make it whole again.
Is that all I am to you Joe?

Andy.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Residential Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv44 View Post
How big are the shear panels typically? 4x8?

Typically yes.

Andy.