Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
MSC

Share |

Repair hole from AC unit

Figured this would be fairly common, but I haven't had much luck in asking around for a "best-method". As the title states, I need to remove an AC unit from my living room wall and patch it up. The inside/sheetrock is straight-forward enough, but what's the best way to do the outside? Aluminum siding on the house. It was built in '79, if that's of any use. I'm just looking for something that isn't a complete eyesore and, of course, is weatherproof.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Repair hole from AC unit

I usually put in a small window, well you can order a replacement window to fit the hole, that the easiest, but can be pricey, or buy the closest stock window to the right size, I'll always go bigger if I can't get an exact fit, that way I can just cut back the siding and slide my window in using it's built-in "J" for the trim. Fix the drywall is the easy part.

There's my .02 for what it's worth.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:04 AM   #3
MSC

Repair hole from AC unit

Appreciate the reply That was suggested by someone, actually. Though more folks saying so, of course, make it sound like a more viable choice. It's in a bit of an odd position for a window, but I suppose that's the only real downside. Thanks again
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #4

Repair hole from AC unit

If it's in an odd position you might consider something like an actogan or other more decorative style of window. We had on guy that did this same thing, he lives a ways out in the sticks, He chose to put in a swing out window, it faced a meadow where the deer frequently graze early in the morning, his plan was to make his breakfast nook his personal deer stand, with all the comforts of home.

I bet the wife & the rest of the family just loved the thought of being woke up some early Nov. morning with the blast of a 30.06 going off in the kitchen and the old many yelly hot damn fresh vension for breakfast!:D Yep I work for hillbillys, there's alot of them out this way, but their money is just as good as a Dr or Lawyer, come to think of it,....... he was a lawyer! And his wife runs an auto repair shop, now there's a pair of strange bedfellows.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Contractor

Repair hole from AC unit

Not to hijack and it looks like this thread is about done.
I was shaving one morning in the NC house and this really nice buck was wandering across my property. I got out the ole 30-40 and anchored the dude from the bathroom window without thinking about my sleeping spouse. BAADDD mistake! Ate well for a while though.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #6

Repair hole from AC unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Not to hijack and it looks like this thread is about done.
I was shaving one morning in the NC house and this really nice buck was wandering across my property. I got out the ole 30-40 and anchored the dude from the bathroom window without thinking about my sleeping spouse. BAADDD mistake! Ate well for a while though.
:D That's a hoot Teetor, I can just imagine firing off one of my toys in the house, I could see a definite cold front movin in on the homefront behind that kind of stunt. But we live & learn.