Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #1

Share |

Repair Frame for Garage Door

My garage currently doesn't have a garage door and I was told by a handyman that before I could have one installed I needed to repair/rebuild the frame beforehand. He said this because the left and right frame of the opening were wobbly and the bottoms have wear and tear.

Below is a link to photos I took from inside the garage. If I was to tackle this myself how would I go about fixing this problem?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1137698...eat=directlink

Thanks in advance

P.S. - Its a two car garage and I believe the opening was built for a 16' x 7' garage door.

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

The only thing I see is that the bottom plates on both sidea are gone. If they're gone, I'd check the rest of them.
The garage rests on the plates. If they're shot, the structure of the building is at risk.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

The framing looks fine but as Ron said, the bottom plates should be removed and replaced. That is not a super hard thing to do for a DIY'er with skills.

Is there a block wall at the back of the garage too?

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

Yes, the back wall is brick too (see photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink).

What do these bottom plates look like? What exactly do they do?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
Yes, the back wall is brick too (see photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink).

They're the base of the structure.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:

Interesting, the plates should be pressure treated lumber, 1-1/2" thick and at least as wide as the framing.
You may need to use red-head type anchors or wedge type to secure them to the conc. I would recommend putting a six inch concrete wall under them as long as you will be temporarily holding up the front wall anyway.
This will keep the plates from being water-logged and deteriorating as they obviously have.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

so that metal thing screws into the bottom beam and then screws to into the concrete floor? Or into some concrete block I gotta make?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
so that metal thing screws into the bottom beam and then screws to into the concrete floor? Or into some concrete block I gotta make?
For your situation, ignore the metal thing.
You need to learn some terminology. From your posts, you have no working knowledge of carpentry.
Do a search of Framing terminology and look at the pictures and the descriptions. Then compare it to your situation. You will then understand better the issue you have.
This "handyman" guy couldn't explain this to you while he was there? Didn't offer to repair the situation?
Are you asking these questions to understand what the issue is or are you contemplating the repair yourself?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #9

Well that's why I'm here - I don't know the terminology. I did do several searches and had no luck so I turned to this forum.

The handyman was on-site to give us a bid on a different job - I asked, in passing, about how hard it would take someone like myself to put a garage door on, he took a quick look, made us aware the frame was actually wobbly, proceeded to explain the repairs and it went over my head. Since it wasn't priority at the time I put it on the backburner for another day.

I just bought this house, I'm a first time homeowner and I would like to understand what the issue is and I want to repair it myself. I'm a fast learner, technically inclined, far from lazy and very patient, so there's no question I can perform the work, I just need help getting started.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Well that's why I'm here - I don't know the terminology. I did do several searches and had no luck so I turned to this forum.
http://www.google.com/search?q=garag...x=&startPage=1
Here's something to get you familiar with the terminology. There are videos included in the link.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #11

Thanks for the help so far, I really do appreciate it.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #12

Okay, so after going through a couple of Ron's search results I think I got my game plan: remove the king and jack studs, fasten new bottom plates to the concrete using pressured treated lumber and split drive concrete anchors adding a layer of roofing shingle between the lumber and concrete for added protection against water and finally install new king and jack studs. Am I good to go?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Okay, so after going through a couple of Ron's search results I think I got my game plan: remove the king and jack studs, fasten new bottom plates to the concrete using pressured treated lumber and split drive concrete anchors adding a layer of roofing shingle between the lumber and concrete for added protection against water and finally install new king and jack studs. Am I good to go?
If the king and jack studs aren't damaged, there's no reason to remove them. Slightly jack up the area, cut the bottom plate and the nails out and slide another PT wood plate in. Then lower the wall and fasten the wood to the floor and the studs.
You might have to do this in other areas as well. This is usually a comprehensive issue.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
STAFF

The garage door opening needs to be framed, inside to inside, the same size as the garage door will be. In your case the door will be 16 feet even. If you remove anything from the garage door opening, be sure to have the header supported with a couple of 2X4s so it don't come down when you replace the damaged wood. You will want to replace any damaged wood such as plates and studs before installing the framing for the door.

The framing for the garage door should be 2X6 or 2X8 with the top 2X sloped at a slight angle to let water run out instead of in. These 2Xs will need to be nailed flush with the inside framing. The side 2Xs of the door framing need to be treated and held 3/8 to a 1/2 inch off the floor to keep water from wicking into the wood.

Just another concern, I am not sure a garage door can be installed on an angle such as the ground at the front of your opening is.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 11-26-2011 at 10:40 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Okay. Well, the bottom of the studs are water-logged and deteriorating so I'm assuming I better remove them (plus keeping them in and jacking up the front for the new bottom plates will push my opening height to ~7' 1 1/2" which is not standard and would make installing a garage door more difficult). Also the current bottom plates were nailed to the king studs only and the plates themselves are only about a quarter inch thick (they don't even touch the floor/concrete), so it appears the previous owner Mickey Mouse'd this build (as with everything else in this house).

The back wall is just cement blocks, so I don't have to repair anything back there.