Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Repair crumbled brick walkway

I have a small backyard brick walkway. The bricks and mortar are crumbling(old house). The walkway and crumbled bricks look just like this (except mine has no concrete steps and no support wall) :
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...119018,00.html

Assuming no structural issue with the walkway - just need to know the correct procedures to repair it :

- chisel out/vac out loose bricks and mortar

- bought Sakrete Top N Bond concreate patcher :
http://www.sakrete.com/products/prod...oncretePatcher

- do I need to buy concrete bonding adhesive and coat the old mortar/bricks with it or I just need to spray the old section with water ?

- mix up concrete patcher with water and build layer of mortar and put bricks on it, repeat until I reach the top and fill all crumbled bricks

- at this point do I need to worry about curing the newly patched section, i.e. do I spray it wet every day for 5 days ? What is the proper procedure after the last step ? BTW the area is covered so rain doesn't get to the walkway but sun does.

Thanks.

timcsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Brick joints use mortar no concrete for the joints. So concrete patcher has nothing to do with this repair. Why are the joints bad? Poor substrate? poor drainage? If so these issues must be addressed first. To keep the joints from cracking prematurely you could slow the curing time by covering with a wet burlap and mist it a few days, but all this is not necessary unless it is very hot during the curing period.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #3

What do I buy to use as the mortar ?

They cracked overtime before we bought the house probably from rain, not sure. But now the whole area is covered up so no worries on water anymore.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

premixed mortar can be bought at the same supplier you found your premixed cement.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks, I just bought the 25lbs mortar mix box from HD.

Do I need to buy bonding adhesive solution and coat it on the existing mortar/bricks ?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

no. might be good to wet the joints with a sponge so the old bricks will not soak all the water out of the mortar before the mortar cures
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #7

Other things got in the way of this repair and I just started revisiting it.

Now I'm thinking differently about the repair - instead of replacing the few broken bricks, is it possible to just apply concrete to fill in the gaps ?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Now I'm thinking differently about the repair - instead of replacing the few broken bricks, is it possible to just apply concrete to fill in the gaps ?
Ayuh,.... Mortar, not concrete,... Sure....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,162

relax & NO CONCRETE as all you're doing is repointing brick,,, get a mortar sock & brick jointer - think they're both avail at your local apron store.

broken bricks should be replaced UNLESS you feel competent removing them, refacing to allow mortar'd jnt, & then mortaring them back into place,,, for something like yours, we wouldn't bother, tho.

keeping the walkway in decent condition's another issue - probably a good pressure wash & a couple coats of silicone siloxane would certainly help.
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #10

hello,
actually it's not just a little gap, the height of the gap now is about 4 bricks, the depth is about the same(missing about 4 bricks), so that's why I'm thinking instead of replacing the bricks, I just put concrete in there, is that easier than laying down 8 pieces of bricks ?

Look is not an issue as this is the backyard step-out from the kitchen but we never walk out through that door.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

bricks are softer than the concrete. This is why the mortar which is also softer must be used to maintain the flexibility of this system. Trying to place any concrete which will not react the same as the system will not work. You are attempting to save money on bricks? Cost of a few bricks is what? $20 And to save this money you are spending $10 on concrete which may last a few years if you are lucky. In short you cannot fix it this way.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #12

no not about saving money. I could go the brick-fixing route. BTW the top plate(made of concrete) of the kitchen step-out floor is intact, just the bottom of the corner section of the concrete floor now is hanging loose on nothing(the missing 8-10 pieces of bricks). So I just thought that the concrete is stronger and I can fill the entire hole with it the better.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Well its better to use mortar with bricks and a sealer to keep water from penetrating.

johnmwentz is offline   Reply With Quote