DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Repair on Concrete Drive Way Cracks

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stadry 
#1 ·
Hello;

I am in wisconsin. My concrete driveway is 47 years old. It is cracking in multiple area, presumably the base settled is area (or just heaved from frost) (which is a little surprising because the ground is very heavy clay and rock - Had to blast to make basement for the house in 63' due to the rocks).

Whatever the cause, fact is that I now have nearly 1" differences in height along some cracks in the driveway. I don't feel the driveway had proper stress expansion cracks cut into it when it was poured.

The driveway was mud jacked with some success about 20 years ago.

Most of the cracks are less than 1" and pose far less of a trip hazard, only about 2 of them need serious help and pose a substantial trip hazard.

I can not afford to replace this large drive way until at least next summer or the following, as I am still working on remodeling 3 inside rooms including my kitchen. (not to mention the house desperately needs painting)

I feel the cracks are a hazard and that I need to do something about them.

My plan was to apply a chemical bonding agent for concrete, Larsen Weld Crete or similar to the areas were the cracks are.

Then I was planing to use some type of polymer modified product that would tolerate some expansion and contraction. (like a outdoor version of floor leveling compound)

Will this method work for even a few years? Is there a better method short of replacement?

What product would you suggest that can fill the cracks and feather out, in a manner similar to the way Planipatch works for inside floors, except something that is for outdoors and can be used as a wear layer.

I can get most professional products from local supply houses, so if you can suggest a professional product that would work, I can very likely obtain it fairly easily.

I have trowels, floats, heavy mixers, hammer drills, etc.

Thank You

Jamie

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello;

I am in wisconsin. My concrete driveway is 47 years old. It is cracking in multiple area, presumably the base settled is area (or just heaved from frost) (which is a little surprising because the ground is very heavy clay and rock - Had to blast to make basement for the house in 63' due to the rocks).

Whatever the cause, fact is that I now have nearly 1" differences in height along some cracks in the driveway. I don't feel the driveway had proper stress expansion cracks cut into it when it was poured.

The driveway was mud jacked with some success about 20 years ago.

View attachment 23962

Most of the cracks are less than 1" and pose far less of a trip hazard, only about 2 of them need serious help and pose a substantial trip hazard.

I can not afford to replace this large drive way until at least next summer or the following, as I am still working on remodeling 3 inside rooms including my kitchen. (not to mention the house desperately needs painting)

I feel the cracks are a hazard and that I need to do something about them.

My plan was to apply a chemical bonding agent for concrete, Larsen Weld Crete or similar to the areas were the cracks are.

Then I was planing to use some type of polymer modified product that would tolerate some expansion and contraction. (like a outdoor version of floor leveling compound)

Will this method work for even a few years? Is there a better method short of replacement?

What product would you suggest that can fill the cracks and feather out, in a manner similar to the way Planipatch works for inside floors, except something that is for outdoors and can be used as a wear layer.

I can get most professional products from local supply houses, so if you can suggest a professional product that would work, I can very likely obtain it fairly easily.

I have trowels, floats, heavy mixers, hammer drills, etc.

Thank You

Jamie
Jamie,

Maybe you could try Mudjacking. Watch some of the videos. There might be someone in your area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3wJLP1JZs

#3 ·
Jamie,

Maybe you could try Mudjacking. Watch some of the videos. There might be someone in your area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3wJLP1JZs
That is what they did about 20 years ago to this driveway and sidewalk. It did work well for 10+ years, but has settled again.

I don't know what it cost back then when it was done, but I read it can cost $500+ for midjacking a driveway.

I'm really hoping to find a low cost solution for now since I am going to replace it in a couple years.

Thanks
Jamie

#5 ·
the slabs are too large impo because the ( contraction/expansion/isolation ) are spaced too far apart,,, i'd expect the jnts weren't sealed properly allowing water to penetrate into the base where it soaked the material softening it,,, when traffic moved across it, it ' pumped ' & eventually randomly cracked.

,,, since there aren't any safety issues at present, live w/it til time to replace,,, if you wish, rent a 6" grinder & diamond cup wheel from any apron store & grind away :thumbsup:

My plan was to apply a chemical bonding agent for concrete, Larsen Weld Crete or similar to the areas were the cracks are,,, whatever you apply will reflect the underlying cracks & may not even ' hold ' due to improper surface prep.

NEVER fill any joint w/inflexible material,,, if you can get the right mtls from a const supply house, you'll have better luck but replacement's in your future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.