Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |
Red face

Renovation and ceiling is uneven

Recently had kitchen gutted and put a new ceiling in. It is not level and wondering if this is error by the drywallers or is it due to the age of the house? The cabinets and crown molding are not working because of the ceiling. Where do I go from here? Should the contractor fix it??

Amyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Tileguy

Drywall is applied to the existing ceiling joists and the contractor can't be blamed for the condition of your structure.

It is arguable whether or not he should have addressed the issue beforehand. Had he noticed it he probably should have stopped the work until he could discuss it with you but additional work/charges would have been necessary.

To fix it now would probably require the removal of the ceiling and starting over. Those things aren't always real obvious until the finish goes on unless he was there looking for a problem at the beginning.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #3

If you or the contractor had noticed it prior to a contract, it should have been included in the scope of work. But I agree with Bud...a quality minded individual should have noticed before the new board went up, and would have presented you with a change order for the additional work to make it level.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

We hired this company because their specialty is renovating older homes. We expected them to be able to address these unforeseen issues. Thank you very much for your information.
Amyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

typically uneven ceilings arent "an issue" its just and aesthetic thing. more often than not old homes were built with lumber that wasnt milled exactly the same dimension thus having eneven floors and ceilings. its also why plaster was applied so heavy over lathe, it was to create a flat surface

any how, any time i renovate old homes i will more often than not gut most rooms that are being worked on so to expose any thing that may be an issue so all the trades can fix them. plus its easier to put up a full sheet of drywall than it is to patch 15 holes made by electricians. part of the process of getting ready to put up new drywall is to check the wall for how straight/flat it is, same goes for ceilings. i will run a straight edge along the wall or ceiling to see if the framing touches the straight edge evenly or if the straight edge rocks on the framing... if it rocks i will rip furring strips for the wall and shim the strapping on the ceiling so its flat. if ceilings are really bad i will go as far as dropping the ceiling with steel framing creating a flat and level ceiling...

with your reno being in the kitchen it shocks me that the contractor didnt check for such a thing, unless such a thing wasnt spec'd in the contract or they just neglected it
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Tileguy

I think the truth is if it wasn't for the crown molding aspect of the job the ceiling irregularities would have gone unnoticed for the most part...they always seem to.

Knowing however that crown molding was to be a important feature of the job I would like to think that I would have verified the ceiling for plane. But maybe not. I'm sure it was just a foolish oversight and lessons have been learned.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote