Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
D-I-Yer

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Renovation a Block Walled Room, Above Grade

I will be renovating a room (house is slab on grade) that is hard coat stucco over block exterior walls with standard 2x construction interior walls. The house was constructed in the 50"s and has non pressure treated 1x firring strips for the current drywall attachment. The bottom plates are also not pressure treated lumber. There is no insulation in these walls, (and the major reason for the renovation is to add insulation/vapor barrier in the walls and ceilings). Things have been checked for lead and asbestos, so I am OK there.

I will be removing the firring strips and using 2x material so that 1.5 inches of rigid foam insulation can be installed. Do I need to put PT lumber on the exterior block walls?

Douger_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Anytime that wood is in contact with concrete or block it is required to be treated.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
D-I-Yer

Is there a different kind of drywall screw used? I have not seen any drywall screw for PT lumber.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm not aware of a hot-dipped galvanized drywall screw, which the ACQ treatment technically requires. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned with it and as an inspector I'd never look for it on a sheetrock installation. In a structural application (especially outdoors) with framing members it is a bigger issue and must be done correctly, but in my opinion the corrosiveness of ACQ has been overblown.

I would advise against installing all pressure treated lumber and would just install a pressure treated bottom plate. Keep the remaining framing away from the concrete wall just a little bit and you'll be fine. Frame it as a wall. That will generally solve the screw issue, and you won't be fighting with treated southern yellow pine furring strips, which can be interesting. Furthermore, there's the added benefit of not having the framing attached directly to the concrete or block wall...If your foundations moves a small amount it won't telegraph through the framed wall.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
D-I-Yer

The room that I am currently renovating has 50+ year non pressure treated firring strips attached to the block walls via cut nails and have been kept approximately 1.5 inches from the floor. These firring strips show no signs of decay and in fact are hard as heck. In other rooms that were remodeled, we left these strips on the wall, filling the space with 3/4' rigid foam insulation (Blueboard). If I do nothing but fill the space with 3/4 blueboard, that is a huge improvement in insulation. This room is above grade by about 10-12 inches and is block all the way to the eave.

I want to add 2x2's to get 1.5 inches of insulation in there. This is a first floor bedroom, not in a basement, and loosing any space to a gap (building a stud wall away from the existing wall) is not feasable, too much space lost. I want to do things right.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Douger_F; 01-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.