Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Renovating my home

The house I live in is a one storey with a walkout basement. I want to add a second level above the main living level but the house is constructed of 2 x 4's. Will building code allow me to add the second level?

Corey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Renovating my home

You should consult a structural engineer, architect, or home designer/builder to see what you are in for and whether it really fits your budget for the house and whether you would ever get your money out of it all before proceeding. All of them will be able to tell you what you your municipality will allow you to do, what permits and inspections you will need and what building and perhaps historical or appearance codes you will have to satisfy. Of course they will advise you on what you will have to do to the foundation and structure to support an additional story.

I suspect such an addition is doable. Whether practical and the end result worth it is something you will not know until you do some exploring. You do want to keep the addition in character with the house and the neighborhood or it will never sell when the time comes. I am sure you have seen "What were they thinking?" hacked on additions that may have provided space but look terrible. A design pro can help you avoid this and probably save you a chunk of money in the process.

Last edited by user1007; 02-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,014

Renovating my home

Not the best way but local codes may let you do it.
Your going to have to hire an engineer do do soil test and to design this for you to see if the foundation will support two floors, and desigh a floor system to support the second story.
Where are you going to live while this is all going on?
Often cheaper to just find a 2 story house then trying to add a second floor.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Renovating my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Often cheaper to just find a 2 story house then trying to add a second floor.
Kind of what I was hinting at. On the other hand if it is a great lot and the addition is justifiable. Go for it I guess.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Renovating my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You should consult a structural engineer, architect, or home designer/builder to see what you are in for and whether it really fits your budget for the house and whether you would ever get your money out of it all before proceeding. All of them will be able to tell you what you your municipality will allow you to do, what permits and inspections you will need and what building and perhaps historical or appearance codes you will have to satisfy. Of course they will advise you on what you will have to do to the foundation and structure to support an additional story.

I suspect such an addition is doable. Whether practical and the end result worth it is something you will not know until you do some exploring. You do want to keep the addition in character with the house and the neighborhood or it will never sell when the time comes. I am sure you have seen "What were they thinking?" hacked on additions that may have provided space but look terrible. A design pro can help you avoid this and probably save you a chunk of money in the process.
Well said, I could not have done better myself.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-20-2012)