Renovating Entire Basement --- Tips - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Renovating Entire Basement --- Tips

Hello,

Doing a complete gut except leaving studs in place. Live in Canada, just a few questions...and thanks

1) Half the walls have plastic right against the foundation concrete vs other walls have the barrier on the inside of the studs- remove or just leave as is?

2) I have big screen tv downstairs - my wife wants me to soundproof - also without the walls the furnace sounds like a jet engine (well not that bad) so do I just use Roxul? And if i use Roxul would I foam the point where the joist meets the floor and then roxul and then apply tape from joist to roxul? I have heard from some forums that roxul didn't do a think to dampen the sound...I don't want to spend a ton of cash, just want to turn the volume down

3) How should I wrap the duct work? Just aluminum foil on the joints or should I wrap it with the acoustic seal insulation or maybe just use some expanding foam around it? I don't know

4) Good idea to wrap copper plumbing pipes with anything?

5) A site also mentioned putting "padded tape" inbetween the joists and the drywall to dampen sound.

6) I also am remodeling a brick fireplace - instead of breaking out the brick and putting new brick in - I have heard you can just cover the old fireplace with backer board and apply new brick to the backer board.

7) I want to soundproof the furnace room - which also has our central vac in it ... Anything special to worry about when doing a furnace room? Fireproofing or doubling the soundproofing material, etc???

Thanks..also if you have any suggestions for something I may be overlooking...thanks

Advertisement

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

All sound like good ideas.

Not sure if backerboard is necessary over the old brick fireplace. If you are thin-bricking I would go expanded metal lath, screwed to old mortar joints then scratch coated. Apply thin-brick to scratch coat.

Be aware that lath does have a right and wrong side up. Install it upside down and your install will fail early. Run your hand across it, one way is smooth, the other grabs. Grab should point up

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 01-15-2011 at 08:33 AM.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gee Canada is a big place, wouldn't you agree? So where are you? I ask that because the answers you arrive at will differ whether you live in Victoria, Windosr or Fort McMurray.

So, first tip is I'd say read up on vapour retarder placement and soundproofing before you ask for how-to-do-it tips as then you can act critically instead of talking our word for it...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Soundproofing Guy

Rewards Points: 150

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/..._construction/

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...cles/flanking/

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...within_a_room/

These are quick reads but will give you more intuiton as to what to do.
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Gee Canada is a big place, wouldn't you agree? So where are you? I ask that because the answers you arrive at will differ whether you live in Victoria, Windosr or Fort McMurray.

So, first tip is I'd say read up on vapour retarder placement and soundproofing before you ask for how-to-do-it tips as then you can act critically instead of talking our word for it...

ccarlisle; nice to see you are still around here......happy new year.....
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote