Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

removing an x beam from garage ceiling

hello everyone,
This is my first post here so if its in the wrong place or wrong question please excuse me.
I decided to install some drywall in the garage ceiling to make it look nicer plus install some insulation to control the heat and noticed that there is some kind of an x beam runing under the ceiling beams. I want to know if its ok to remove them or not. I have attached some photos to help better understand what im talking about. Please help me if you can since i do not want to just take them off and have the whole thing fall on my head lol...

THank you in advance.

vick.sarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

No clue why there even there.
Is there a center support of any kind running down below the 2 X 4 ceiling joist with post holding it up?
Reason I'm asking it's very hard to see by those picture but it looks like only 2 X 4 joist in the ceiling.
The problum will be if it's unsupport with that span it's going to at least sag and just may come down with all that weight.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No clue why there even there.
Is there a center support of any kind running down below the 2 X 4 ceiling joist with post holding it up?
Reason I'm asking it's very hard to see by those picture but it looks like only 2 X 4 joist in the ceiling.
The problum will be if it's unsupport with that span it's going to at least sag and just may come down with all that weight.
Should I take more or better pictures? I'm not that good at understanding this stuff so I don't mind taking any more pictures or whatever you ask me to do. Please let me know what to do to help you understand my situation better.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Yes . Better pictures and more would be good.
As well as joe's questions.

Is it just attached to the bottom of the ceiling joists?
Are those trusses or stick framed rafters/ (trusses have metal, or plywood gussets on the joists.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

i can take more pictures if you need them and feel free to point me to what i should take a photo of more .
Thanks again so much.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Probably should get an electrician in there in there first to
get all those lights hard wired.
Also those trusses don't look load bearing so I'd nix any
storage staying up there.

Last edited by oldfrt; 08-06-2012 at 08:17 PM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

You've got a real mess on your hands.
I could be wrong but it looks like home built trusses. Based on the differant colored woods used.

If it was mine the first thing I would do is rewire the whole thing. It's a mess and a lot of those wires are going to be in the way, I'd bet at least some of it has no ground.

I install at least 6 outlets in the ceiling on a 24 X 24 garage so can have plug in 4' lights, I I know where the work benches are going I may even add more.
I also add them for the garage door opener even if there is not one there now to make it easer later if one is added.

To me it looks like someone cut out some of the joist, and for some reason moved some of the bracing in the trusses. That bracing is what''s going to be holding up the 2 X's that the rocks going to be attached to.
There's going to have to be nailers added along the two outside walls on the ends to hold up the sheetrock.

Someone that knows what there doing may have to be called in to look this one over because there's lot of funky looking things going on there that can not be figured out on the net.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #9

Best get someone in to look at it.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote