Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |

Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?

HI All

Please look at the pictures and advise if you think its ok to remove studs... im almost 99% sure but would like more eyes on it to be sure... dont want to end up crushed by my staircase. Sooo, the staricase is suported by two columns that appear to hold the landing and one at the base of the stair. in between the one at the base and the one at the landing there is a wall that was completed after the purchase of the house. I want to remove the space under the stair to open my already existibng laundry room

See pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-wall3.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-wall4.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-wall5.jpg  

bororo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

All they are there, is to hold the Gypsum board in place. Keep in mind that you still need some kind of secured railing, once you remove that wall. Looks to me that it was a hack job to begin with. What does it look like at the top where those studs meet the joists above.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

Thats what i thought... Never seen a load bearing wall with a diagonal stud on it... Besides this diagonal stud is held by one nail... So in your opinion i should sledgehammer away? Hehehehe that makes me look forward to tomorrow!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Here is a pic where the vertical stud meets the joist. Bear in mind the vertical stud is cut in half by the diagonal stud that i have never seen before
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-2347007611.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Yep, that is definitely a hack job, and you can get rid of it. Can you show a picture looking up the stairs also, from the basement looking up. That May be a "King" stud at the end, not a "Jack" stud. That means that it is there to hold up that corner of the opening where the stairs start upstairs, and it has to stay, or you will have to put in a Lolly column if you remove in its place, but would mean supporting that section when you place the Lolly column at that corner, if you decide to do so.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-11-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #6

As you can see I already removed the lower part of one of the studs... Is this the view you were looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-2895054162.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

What about the view at the platform looking up, since that is where you are working on removing that wall downstairs. Also at the doorway going into that storage area, showing that corner that looks like a Jack or King stud.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #8

Im not looking at removing the column that supports the landing above. The one the frame of the door is holding
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-4076149324.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

Here is the column that is next to the door. Not looking at removing this as it is obviously supporting the landing upstairs... Thanks for all your time really appreciated... Not sure what the definition os a king stud is....
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-1841172593.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Wrong views. Need you standing against the stairs, and take a picture of the corner, where the hinges for the door are, and one looking into the doorway at that corner. Unless you remove that door, and that remaining Drywall there, it is hard to tell how that corner is built, if it is a Jack or King stud.

Same looking up to the ceiling, once you get that door out of there and the drywall on that corner, along with any gypsum inside so you can see how it is mounted against the joists, or framing for the stairwell opening.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #11

i looked up the definitions f Jack and king studs and it appears my door only have a jack stud on the outside frame of the door... Tomorrow i will remove the door and frame to see what i uncover... No king stud running from the base of the concrete to he joist above... Is that normal?

All pictures are angles of the same corner... The pilar were the door is hinged to the frame

I wish i had more space to take wider angle pictures but space is limited already... Hence the reason for opening the wall

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-115887525.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-271007136.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-2677605979.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-1345711953.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-33276041.jpg  

Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-3750783111.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Yeah, that is a mess. I would still place a Lolly Column or King Stud there, if you are removing that doorway. If you do not, there is nothing holding up that corner of the floor upstairs.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #13

Thanks for your help. I will remove the door but leave the column untouched. That will make it easier... Thanks again
Old 08-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #14

Update... I removed the door and all drywall and found the column was kind of weird.... I think i better call somebody to make sure that it is sound... What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-3077372937.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-1672058028.jpg   Removing wall under stairs. is it safe to remove these studs?-image-1630691311.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

You can remove those two front ones, but that other one has to stay, that is the Jack Stud. You can beef it up with two more on side if you wish, before removing those two in front, to make it a King Stud.

The two in front of it, where there to just form the corner for the door way, the Jack stud that is inside the space, is to hold up that corner of the floor upstairs, as I stated before. Without it, your floor would flex a lot from people walking at that edge upstairs, along with not allowing the wall to flex upstairs, causing cracks.

Tags
demo, landing, staircase, structural wall, structure