Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Share |

removing wall that soffit was attached to

Hi , We have a soffit over the kitchen ceiling(house built in the 80,s) with three sides attatched :;1 to a load bearing exterior wall ,1 to an shared bathroom wall and 1 a wall dividing the kitchen from the living room. The idea is to remove the dividing wall and extend the soffit out about 2 feet( to balance the new kitchen layout) My question is I'm not sure if the end of the soffit is supported by the open end of this wall. I do know it is not a load bearing wall, but how can I tell if it is a soffit bearing wall and what are some solutions to this dilema.
Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Lizybizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

If the soffit is attached to the wall, the wall is supporting it to some extent. It should also be attached to the ceiling (joists) which should be able to hold the weight of the soffit if anchored correctly. Nails or screws of proper length through the framing members of the soffit into the ceiling joists. You'll have to do some demo to make sure all is secure.....

Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #3

Thanks! Yes we actually have removed all the drywall from the wall. I also went up to the attic. It appears this soffit was not put together with the typical 2x2 ladder style ,instead on the end( purpendicular to the wall that we want to remove) is what appears to be a 2x6 or 2x8 that creates the wall for the end of the soffit ( this is the end you see joining the other ceiling at the height of the rest of the house). What they did was then place a 2x4 wide side down on this 2x6/8 and then on top of this they joined it to the ceiling joists. Kind of like a T .I think part of the reason for the 2x4 was so the ceiling drywall would have an edge to nail to, but thats not important . I'm not sure how to reinforce this. Also if exrend the soffit with the 2x2 ladder method what do you suggest for supporting those plus a little drywall?
Lizybizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

A picture or two would sure help. There are a lot of different ways to frame things, especially something like a soffit that's just holding up the drywall. Often it's built out of what's left lying around. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Personally I don't frame soffits with 2"x2"s, I'll use 2"x4"s and lay them flat. Less chance of warping in my experience....