Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Most call me Sparky

Share |

Removing wall in home

I am wanting to remove a wall that runs down the centerline of my house.
Trusses are 2 x4 truss set at 24" OC, the span is 21' from exterior wall to exterior wall. The wall i am wanting to remove runs down the centerline of the truss span the entire length of house. I can leave as much as 18" of wall at one end (which is where it intersects the exterior wall running width of house) and will be removing 19' of this centerline wall, leaving the rest in place. Do the trusses need to be supported through the center of this 19' section? If so is it possible to support them from the attic side by spanning above them from end to end using the 18" that I left for bearing the load?

Chasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Kekeever

Removing wall in home

I'm not an engineer but the short answer is yes you can span the 19' in the attic with a beam. The supporting sections that will carry the beam should be supported by a foundation and probably already are. the foundation under those sections may need to be enlarged as you are taking a spread out load and creating a point load on the two ends of the beam. Since the beam would be on the top of the bottom chords of the trusses you would need to use a hanger to support the chords. You may have some difficulty threading a 19' glue lam into your attic so if you it works with your design to have a post somewhere that would shorten the beams and possibly make things easier. Hope this helps.

Kyle Keever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
Wood Butcher

Removing wall in home

What did you see in the attic. I agree with Kyle. All the trusses I put were almost free floating and never really even touched the interior walls. I don't know about that area but arches are a big thing here.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing wall in home

Especially since it will not be seen, steel might be an option to a glue lam beam. Not as easy to frame off of but cheap. You can find the load charts and specs for both online. The comment about how you get anything so long up there is worth considering.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Removing wall in home

If they are truly trusses, they should not need a beam or supporting wall under them. Not so with a raftered roof. Can you post a picture of the roof frame construction?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Most call me Sparky

Removing wall in home

Yes they are definitely trusses. I figured the load bearing would be the exterior walls, so I got into attic and the section of wall that I want to take out does not even touch the trusses but has about a 1 1/2 gap between. I guess I would be more concerned if the weight of the drywall will cause any sag in this area due to I plan on just laminating existing ceiling w/ 1/4 sheetrock.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Kekeever

Removing wall in home

If the wall is not bearing you are done. Demo, drywall paint and your good to go. If the bottom chord was going to sag it would have already and would be sitting on the wall you want to remove.
Kyle Keever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
MJW

Removing wall in home

I'd bet that the wall is a bearing wall. You need to find the stamp on the trusses and find out for sure. I doubt a builder would spend the extra on rafters to span if a wall was going to be there.

Not sure which Lams would span 19', but you'd have to find out the load that is supposed to be on the wall. You'll find that all out when you find out who made the trusses.

It's a big no no to be playing with trusses if you don't know what or why they were designed the way they are.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #9

Removing wall in home

unless a specifc need for center bearing was needed then the out side walls are bearing. you could frame the exterior walls then truss the roof, then finish inteior as inside work all in the construction phase. the fact they are not toudching sounds like only a single top plate. i would be suprised if its other than this or that there is bearing under this wall other than a beam to carry floor joist
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Removing wall in home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasm View Post
I am wanting to remove a wall that runs down the centerline of my house.
Trusses are 2 x4 truss set at 24" OC, the span is 21' from exterior wall to exterior wall. The wall i am wanting to remove runs down the centerline of the truss span the entire length of house. I can leave as much as 18" of wall at one end (which is where it intersects the exterior wall running width of house) and will be removing 19' of this centerline wall, leaving the rest in place. Do the trusses need to be supported through the center of this 19' section? If so is it possible to support them from the attic side by spanning above them from end to end using the 18" that I left for bearing the load?
Chasm,

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to anyone on the internet telling you that the wall isn't bearing just because you have a trussed roof. They have know idea what they;'re talking about. It's your house, only you can see what you have and you cannot tell whether or not these trusses were designed to clear-span the entire length of the house. Maybe they can, but get someone in there to look at it like an Architect or Engineer. Taking structural advice over the internet and maybe consider doing it is nothing but dangerous.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Most call me Sparky

Removing wall in home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Chasm,

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to anyone on the internet telling you that the wall isn't bearing just because you have a trussed roof. They have know idea what they;'re talking about. It's your house, only you can see what you have and you cannot tell whether or not these trusses were designed to clear-span the entire length of the house. Maybe they can, but get someone in there to look at it like an Architect or Engineer. Taking structural advice over the internet and maybe consider doing it is nothing but dangerous.
I dont see how it could possibly be load bearing w/ a 1 1/2" gap between the top of wall and truss the entire length of house.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #12

Removing wall in home

So the wall does not extend up to the ceiling ?
Sheetrock is not finished from wall to ceiling ?
There is an air gap ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #13

Removing wall in home

joes right don't listen to anyone on here, in fact dont ask the question. go find someone who can physically look at the job. if the house is not to old you may be able to locate builder if local and find out about the non center supported trusses and if they were made for a clear span
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Most call me Sparky

Removing wall in home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
So the wall does not extend up to the ceiling ?
Sheetrock is not finished from wall to ceiling ?
There is an air gap ?
What I am saying Dave, Is that in the attic, between the top plate of the wall and the bottom chord of the truss there is a 1 1/2 inch gap. At no place in the length of the wall does it come in contact with the truss.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #15

Removing wall in home

A few pictures would solve a lot.

1. Of the trusses in the attic.

2. Of the wall area in discussion.

3. Of the gap at plate/wall.

I am concerned the wall at each gable end (in-line with truss span) would not be effective in any shear flow for that area as it is now.

If you could post pictures, it will shorten your frustration.

Be safe, Gary