Removing Vintage Kitchen Wall Fan - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing vintage kitchen wall fan

I recently made the disturbing discovery that dryer exhaust from the laundry room downstairs is pouring into my co-op via the vintage 1920s kitchen wall exhaust fan. How can I fix this situation? Will I need to have it removed entirely? (I don't use it as it's at least 10 feet from the stove and I have a standard modern exhaust fan in the microwave hood.) Or, is there some valve or flange that could be closed off somewhere?

BTW and FYI, dryer exhaust contains nasty carcinogens and other noxious particles that can cause all kinds of health problems.

Advertisement

KellyAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 696

Post a picture.
What type siding is there?

It would be best to remove it, insulate, add sheathing outside and fix the wall inside and out.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, joecaption! I can't take a pic now- I taped plastic all over it because the dryer exhaust was driving me nuts. It looks like this pic I found online, if it were attached to the wall instead of a window. It protrudes about 10 inches into the kitchen and comes complete with a dedicated circuit and it's own switch. Also of note, it is on an interior wall perpendicular to the exterior wall, so perhaps it's directing the air into some sort of internal duct system, hence the dryer exhaust coming up? That or it does vent outside and the dryer exhaust is coming in from the outside.
The walls are plaster.
Who would I hire? A general handyman, or someone else due to the possible duct and electrical work?
KellyAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust fan , kitchen fan