Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing Subfloor, Leveling and install new....

I needs some help as to if I am crazy or not. The downstair's of my house I am redoing is about 400sq ft. It is all tile that I laid about 5 year's ago. To lay this what I did was thin set in 1/2 concrete board to the 3/4 subfloor, then screwed it down and then set the tile over it.

Well, the time has come where we are going to put hardwood in the entire downstair's. I have two sections where the house has settled and there is some floor sagging. The sagging is due to the fact the builder put the floor joist's in with the crown the wrong way.

What would be the best way for me to go about getting the tile up and fixing the sagging? I could just try to rip up all the tile and cement board and lay in 1/8 to fix the sagging OR I can rip up the entire subfloor, sister in new joist's and relay the 3/4 subfloor.

How difficult will each be? Anyone ever do this? What would you recommend?

dcd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
carpentry

I would try a small demolition hammer...rotary hammer drill...SDS hammer drill with a blade attatchment to remove the tile. It'll be a lot of work to get back to the subfloor.

I would think about using floor leveler before pulling up the subfloor and sistering joists. How bad does your floor sag? Pulling up subfloor and sistering joists seems little extreme to fix joists that aren't crowned the right way.

WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #3

Do you have access to the underside of th floor?
Is there a basement?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #4

WNY - I though about going this route but I will be installing hardwood. I do not beleive you will be able to nail the wood through the leveler and cement board.

Do you think the demo hammer will allow me to get the cement board (thin set and screwed in) off the 3/4 ply sub floor? If so, that would be fine (as long as I can level the sagging some other way.

Redline - It is a crawl, yes, I do have access under there.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Home Improvement Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd22 View Post
WNY - I though about going this route but I will be installing hardwood. I do not beleive you will be able to nail the wood through the leveler and cement board.

Do you think the demo hammer will allow me to get the cement board (thin set and screwed in) off the 3/4 ply sub floor? If so, that would be fine (as long as I can level the sagging some other way.

Redline - It is a crawl, yes, I do have access under there.
Can you squeeze under there and shim the reversed crown joists?
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #6

Yes, I can more then likely shim it.

I guess my biggest issue will be if I can get the concrete board out of the thin set on the subfloor. If so, that will work, if not, it will more then likely need to come up.

Info here is awesome!!