Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

removing stucco at chimney base

We just discovered that we have some issues with termites coming up through the slab into our kitchen area - we discovered them coming out of the baseboard along one wall. Our home is of block construction here in Florida, and the company we're using has told us that amongst the list of things they want to address is for the stucco on the chimney to be cut away about 2 inches above the ground level, more or less in line with the top edge of the slab. I didn't know this, but apparently working their way up inside stucco is a favorite access point for termites if the stucco finishes below ground level and gives them ready access. I said I'd do the work, but after looking at the exterior of the chimney I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to go about it. Where the rest of the house is block, as already mentioned, the chimney itself is fabricated from wood (why I don't know - cheaper and easier I guess than doing it in block as well) so I'm a little nervous of accidentally cutting too high and exposing the framework. At least if it was block it wouldn't be that much of an issue if I strayed half an inch or so above the line of the slab.

So bottom line, how am I supposed to go about this? Mark a line on the stucco about half an inch below the line of the floor level of the slab, then use an angle grinder and appropriate cutting wheel to slice through the stucco, wire screen, and whatever they used to cover the framework of the chimney? Or am I only supposed to just cut away the layer of stucco and the wire mesh it was laid on to?

Last point. You'll note in the second picture that there's a small hole on one corner which obviously needs repair. I don't really care too much about the cosmetic side of things, so what's the simplest and most effective way to patch up this hole?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
removing stucco at chimney base-chimney-2.jpg   removing stucco at chimney base-chimney-hole.jpg  

Last edited by stephenbishop; 03-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.
stephenbishop is offline   Reply With Quote