Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
OneManJob

Share |
Question

removing stipple from ceiling

I've scraped all the stipple off my ceiling in the kitchen and currently sanding it. My question: Do I have to sand it down to the drywall and putty the entire thing or sand it enough till it's smooth or can I putty over the rough texture than sand it after that? What's the best way of going about this?

jeffmarleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
PHB Construction LLC

Funny it must be stipple removal day. Someone just posted the same problem in Fla. As I suggested get as much off as you can, scrape or sand then "float" or "skimcoat" over smooth with drywall mud. I use the kind you mix with water "ez-sand" but drywall mud in a premixed in a bucket works just as well. Your always going to have divots or high and low spots when scraping and sanding, going over top with a thin layer of mud evens them out. Then sand your drywall "skim coat" smooth and your good to go.

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Easier if you use ready mix. Thin your mud somewhat (a cup or so of water to a 5 gal. bucket) to make it easier to spread and wipe down. It will likely take 2 coats to fill any rough areas, allowing to dry thoroughly between coats. If you cover the paper areas too it will help get the ceiling to the same consistency and give you a surface that it truly "slick". If you feel the areas you have mudded as opposed to raw drywall paper, the paper is not as smooth as the sanded joint compound. This can make the joints tend to "flash" or show through with any harsh light that hits them. "Glaze" coating the entire surface will take care of that...