DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Removing rust from tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/removing-rust-tools-57199/)

Colby 11-14-2009 07:47 PM

Removing rust from tools
 
Howdy I recently bought two pipe wrenchs that are still in working condition but haven't been taken care of. They have a lot of rust on em, do yall have any suggestions on how to remove the rust?

oh'mike 11-14-2009 08:05 PM

THE WORKS TOILET BOWL CLEANER--The cheap watery kind,not the 'NEW IMPROVED' thick stuff.

It will take the rust off the crustiest tools.---------MIKE----Costs about $1.50 soak in a glass or plastic dish. Have fun.

Aurelius 11-14-2009 09:31 PM

If the recommendation is a toilet bowl cleaner, then it most likely is the lye that is in the product. This can be found in many cleaning products and you can ask your local hardware store guy what product(s) they have that has lye in it. Lye is mildly caustic and removes all sorts of crud, including rust.

Aurelius

nap 11-14-2009 09:36 PM

and if it is the lye, you could just buy some lye.

there is a method using electricity and some fluid. Seemed to work exceptionally well. I'll try to find it and post it.

found one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5I5WBG5HPw

oh'mike 11-15-2009 06:55 PM

ACID--The Works is a fairly strong acid-I looked to see if I had a jug to find out which acid-No luck


HYDROCHLORIC ACID good old google!
Be careful this stuff reacts badly with aluminum use a glass or plastic container.

nap 11-15-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 353499)
ACID--The Works is a fairly strong acid-I looked to see if I had a jug to find out which acid-No luck


HYDROCHLORIC ACID good old google!
Be careful this stuff reacts badly with aluminum use a glass or plastic container.

so, do you add water to acid or acid to water and do you know what happens when you do it the wrong way?

oh'mike 11-15-2009 07:22 PM

This stuff is not THAT strong-I add it to the water in my toilet--does that count?

nap 11-15-2009 07:28 PM

but how are you recommending the OP use it?


with my method, there is no acidic residue to dispose of. The alkalinity of the solution remaining is not caustic either. It will be a bucket of baking soda, ferrous oxide, and water. It can be dumped anywhere plus is will not eat the metal like an acid will. It only removes the rust.

SULTINI 11-16-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 353514)
but how are you recommending the OP use it?


with my method, there is no acidic residue to dispose of. The alkalinity of the solution remaining is not caustic either. It will be a bucket of baking soda, ferrous oxide, and water. It can be dumped anywhere plus is will not eat the metal like an acid will. It only removes the rust.

The OP should read the directions on the bottle.

Oh sorry it's not for cleaning tools it's for toilet bowls.

SULTINI 11-16-2009 07:16 AM

:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 353510)
This stuff is not THAT strong-I add it to the water in my toilet--does that count?


:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thurman 11-16-2009 09:15 AM

Don't laugh---just try it. It's cost effective (I hate cheap), non-hazardous, and easy. Go to a local farm supply store, or Tractor Supply, and buy Molasses which is used as a supplement to horse feed. Mix this 50/50 with water then soak the tools in the solution. Do Not Use this on aluminum, you can use an aluminum pan but it will permantely discolor it. And I said it was safe? I buy old tools at auction, swap meets, etc. which need TLC. I even clean old steel/iron car parts with this. It is not quick! At least one full day of soaking, maybe more. I had rather use this than any of those acidic or alkyline cleaners. Thanks, David

nap 11-16-2009 10:14 AM

odd suggestion but if it works, hey, why not. Any idea why it works?

spark plug 11-16-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 353145)
THE WORKS TOILET BOWL CLEANER--The cheap watery kind,not the 'NEW IMPROVED' thick stuff.

It will take the rust off the crustiest tools.---------MIKE----Costs about $1.50 soak in a glass or plastic dish. Have fun.

As the OP states he "Bought 2 pipe wrenches" (used). You can imagine they weren't toys or your average size pipe wrench. How, pray tell will they fit in a glass???!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.