Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing/replacing window screens

My house is about 25 years old. The screens are torn so I thought I'd buy the screen and replace them. Pretty simple. But, how the heck do I get the screens out of the windows without bending them all to heck? I've tried pushing up, down, left and right but still the screens won't budge. I've tried removing them from inside and outside both, no luck. Its almost like the frame was put on after the screen.

I think the windows are the original windows to the house. They are metal framed windows with the storm window built into them. I will take the best picture I can and attach it. any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg
Attached Images

gt2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

It looks like yours may have been put in upside down but the two little back tabs are the giveaway. The springs are on the opposite side from the tabs. In the single window pic, the screen frame would go down to compress the springs and come out from the top.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

there may be clips at the bottom of the window holding the screen up, or springs like teetor says. If clips, and they haven't been moved in a 1/4 century, you may have to grab them with pliers to get them out.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The top and bottom aren't too bad. Its the left and right tightness that is a problem. I can at least pry the top down to where I can see the top edge of the screen. But, the sides are in like fort knox. It almost looks like there are 2 screws that hold the side rails in place. Does this sound like it could be it?
gt2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Try some lube on the sides. There may also be paint buildup over 25 yrs.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

The storms in a property we owned and just sold had the same problem. New storms and I know how to remove them but they were built to such close tolerances that the screens just wouldn't clear the frames when the springs were compressed. What a hassle. It took many minutes to remove them carefully, slightly bending the screen frames without kinking them. I'm glad I don't have to do that again.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote