Removing Post In Wall Opening - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing Post in Wall Opening

Hi all! Need some advice on whether or not I can remove this post. It looks decorative but is in a weight bearing wall so wanted to make sure. The wall is the outside wall to a standard 2 story 70s colonial, the family room is on a slab. The wall opening is 10 feet. The wall above the opening is 14 inches, I don't think it is a solid beam though but haven't investigated yet. Was hoping you all might be able to help since this is a very common floor plan. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Post in Wall Opening-image.jpg  

Advertisement

EmeryE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 862

Dont' understamd"the wall above is 14"".Does not look like an outside wall to me.If you have not"investigated " and can't offer any more info it will be hard for anyone to help.
If you know it's a load bearing wall I would says it's not OK to remove unless the beam above will carry the load.Nobody here can tell you that.

Advertisement

mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

That opening was done to create the entrance to the family room, and who ever did it more than likely, didn't put in the support that is needed for that large of a span, and that's why that post is there to alleviate the sag, I wouldn't remove it.

You need to get someone in to see what's needed and have it fixed in order to take the post out.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #4

Don't know if this helps but the family room is original to the house. The post is also more than likely original since the floor is cut around it.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,256

There's a reason they put that post there. No one puts a post in the middle of an entry for decorative reasons.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryE View Post
Don't know if this helps but the family room is original to the house. The post is also more than likely original since the floor is cut around it.

if the family room is original to the house, could it be that the opening was originally a door and was made wider, my guess is that header isn't heavy enough to do the job, hence the post.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 552

which way does your floor joist run on the second floor parallel or perpendicular to header where post is supporting.
is the post in the center if you measure from the 2 exterior walls running perpendicular to the header and post
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

The post is not centered. It is about 3-1/2 feet from the right (side toward the center of the house). The floor joists run parallel to the wall.

I think it is likely there was originally a half wall railing to the left as that was the fashion in these 70s homes.

Advertisement

Last edited by EmeryE; 09-10-2014 at 11:06 PM.