Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Removing a load bearing wall

Hello Everyone.

I would like to remove 12 feet of a bearing wall. But I do not want a bulkhead. I want to place the support in the attic I have 50 inches between tip of roof to the roof rafters ( the studs the roof drywall is mounted to.)
Is there a way to place the support missing from the wall and have the trusses take the load. It is a 4 / 12 pitch with a cross member 25 inches down from tip. Hope this makes sense..

Fitzy
fitzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Huh?

Pictures and/or a diagram would be very helpful.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Your post is extremely confusing, probably because you are not familiar with the correct terms for the structural elements you are referring to. Specifically,

1. You don't want a bulkhead. I don't know what a bulkhead is in this connection, you are probably referring to a header. You need a header to support the load that the wall was previously supporting. Perhaps you mean that you want a flush header, which is a header that is flush with the ceiling above. In this case, the header extends upwards above the floor.

2. You say you have 50 inches between the tip of the roof and the roof rafters. I don't really understand what you are referring to. The word rafter refers to angled roof supports which support the sheathing and roof material. Are you saying there is more than four feet gap between the rafters and the roof itself? This seems unlikely, perhaps you are referring to the ceiling joists, which are the horizontal structural members that support the floor.

3. Then you talk about studs the roof drywall is attached to. Perhaps you mean the rafters? Studs are vertical structural elements in a wall, you would not attach roof drywall to studs.

4. Then you say you want the trusses to take the load. If you have rafters, you do not have trusses, and if you have trusses, you do not have rafters. A truss is a structural support that is built from triangles. Each triangle is typically built using 2x4 lumber, connected together using metal plates (stitch plates). This is very different than rafter construction.

I suggest you review the terminology carefully to make sure you are telling us what you really have. Take photos and post them. And think carefully about what it is you actually want to do, and tell us, perhaps we can help you figure out how to get it done.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (04-21-2012), benjamincall (04-21-2012), Jeeps (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #5

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy1 View Post
Hello Everyone.

I would like to remove 12 feet of a bearing wall. But I do not want a bulkhead. I want to place the support in the attic I have 50 inches between tip of roof to the roof rafters ( the studs the roof drywall is mounted to.)
Is there a way to place the support missing from the wall and have the trusses take the load. It is a 4 / 12 pitch with a cross member 25 inches down from tip. Hope this makes sense..

Fitzy
i know what you are talking about. i had thought of doing that myself.

its going to be expensive.
"basically" your going to have to install 2 expensive posts that run from the basement floor all the way to the attic. then have your beam set on those. and then bolt the wall so that it hangs from that beam. and then the floor joists hanging from that wall.
you could be talking $10-20,000 for that.

your better off to have a (forgot the exact term) steel beam recessed into the joists = no bulkhead.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it

i know what you are talking about. i had thought of doing that myself.

its going to be expensive.
"basically" your going to have to install 2 expensive posts that run from the basement floor all the way to the attic. then have your beam set on those. and then bolt the wall so that it hangs from that beam. and then the floor joists hanging from that wall.
you could be talking $10-20,000 for that.

your better off to have a (forgot the exact term) steel beam recessed into the joists = no bulkhead.
That post was amusing. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
That post was amusing.
yeah, why is that ?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yeah, why is that ?

Because it is.

Please don't do any work without the guidance of an engineer.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Civil Engineer

Fixin It, are you suggesting installing a ridge beam, then hanging a wall off the ridge beam to support a flush header below, which in turn supports the floor? That would be totally unique, I have never seen that, but from your description you seem to think that is what the OPS wants to do, and you have apparently either done that on your house or are considering it.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

not a ridge beam. but a header, above the load bearing wall. hang the wall off of that, hang the lower header off that.

of course i am WAY over simplifying this.

no, i haven't done it. but i was thinking about it. in my case = way over doing it.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Civil Engineer

I still don't understand your post, FixinIt. The OPS wants to get rid of the load bearing wall, and presumably replace it with a header. You are saying you want to put in a header, and hang the wall off the header? The OPS wants to remove the wall, so what are you gaining by hanging the wall of the header? And if the wall you are talking about is hung from the roof, you would need a ridge beam up there. Maybe you can post a diagram of what you are describing, I am confused both by the original question asked by the OPS, and equally confused by your post, but you seem to be the only person who thinks they understand the OPS goal, so a diagram of your concept would be interesting to see.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

Dan. i had a brain cramp. i was thinking about my house, not his

he basicly wants to put the header above the joists. not under it, as is usual .
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #14

thank you, you are correct.
fitzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote