Removing A LB Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a LB wall

New to the forum here, my wife's father recently passed and she inherited his homestead in Texas, my question is, she wants to remove the wall between the living room/kitchen and the dining room (a span of approx 14.5'). What kind of beam should i use, the home is on a concrete foundation with just a crawl space and roof above. Do I need to dig footings at each end of the beam?? Please add any comments or suggestions. Thank you

Advertisement

dapollack36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

Removing a LB wall

I forgot to mention that 11' of the 14' is actual wall, there's a approximately 3 foot break between the walls at one end.

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 232

Removing a LB wall

I think its the wood council site but there is other sites to that will give you span tables
FYI be ready to lay down some long green cause you will need micro or para lamb beam for sure. I am just not sure on the size
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Removing a LB wall

Need to know exactly what it is carrying before anyone can garner a guess.

Sounds like you are not even sure if it is load bearing or not. Get someone qualified out there to take a look and advise.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

Removing a LB wall

I'm up in Va, (in the Army), i'm 99% sure it's just carrying the load of the roof, the wall runs down the center of the house so I assume it carries a portion of the load of the roof.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Removing a LB wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapollack36 View Post
I'm up in Va, (in the Army), i'm 99% sure it's just carrying the load of the roof, the wall runs down the center of the house so I assume it carries a portion of the load of the roof.
Is there a way to access the ceiling/roof framing to be sure? If you have roof trusses, it is probably not load bearing. Never assume when dealing with load bearing.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

Removing a LB wall

I'll be heading down there this winter, if it's a trussed roof, it's not a load bearing wall?? Please explain.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 766

Removing a LB wall

Most newer houses are built with roof trusses. Trusses are self-supporting from exterior wall to exterior wall in most cases so any interior wall wouldn't be loadbearing. If a roof is built with conventional construction you will just have ceiling joists and roof rafters and entire attic area will be open. If you have trusses they will most likely be made from just 2x4s and you will see them at various angles going from the floor to ceiling in the attic area. The connections between the pieces will normally be made with nail plates. If you know how old the home is we might want to give you a good guess whether it has trusses or not.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 53

Removing a LB wall

I recently installed 2 lvl beams to support a total span on over 27 feet after removing the load bearing wall . The first beam is 12.5 feet and the second one is 14.75 feet.

The beams were made from 2 11.25 lvls sandwhiched together with a piece of about 1/2 inch plywood for a total beam thickness of about 4 inches
stevergee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 53

Removing a LB wall

Advertisement

stevergee is offline   Reply With Quote