Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing knee wall and sistering rafters

I searched the archives and could not find anything on this, so I will post here.
I have a cape-cod home with 2x4 rafters that are 16oc. The length is ~16ft from 1x6 ridge bd to top of walls with a knee wall installed at around 8 feet. My architect friend looked at it and said we could sister 2x8s to the 2x4 rafters and also nail 2x4 gussets at the top just below the ridge board and remove the knee wall. What I forgot to ask him is how to install the sistered rafter, i.e. do they need to go from ridge to top of exterior wall or can they be just short?
Thanks,
Devin

mn_homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #2

"do they need to go from ridge to top of exterior wall or can they be just short?"
They need to run from the ridge board to the top plates of the wall and be properly secured. What you're describing with the 2x4's up near the ridge sounds more like rafter ties then gussets. Gussets around here are usually plywood.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question I have is if the rafters have to run to the top plates, does one cut the 2x8 down to be able to fit in the small opening between the top plate and roof decking, which I have not measured yet, but I figure to be ~ 3"? Also what would be recommended for "properly securing" these to the plates?
Thanks again,
Devin
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Normally you would have a bird's mouth cut into the rafter that would drop over the plate and then toenail it into place. It sounds like this might not work for you. with 3" of space.
I'd probably cut the bottom so it rested flat on the top plate and use construction adhesive and 10d ribbed nails along the length of the rafter from ridge to top plate. If you need to use clamps, use them. The two framing members should be tight to one another. Temporarily, drywall screws will do to eliminate gaps in lieu of clamps.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #5

I was able to get to where the rafter rests on the wall it appears to be just cut at an angle and sitting on the wall, so no birds mouth cut. Should I be using collar ties to secure the rafters to the wall?
Thanks again and have a good weekend.