DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing a Fireplace - suggestions?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
Our house is about 30 years old and was built with a stand-alone brick fireplace (74"x44") in between the entryway and living room. The floor is stained brick.

We're in N.E. Texas, have pretty mild winters and don't use the fireplace at all, even though it is set up for gas logs. My wife and I are seriously considering taking it out to free up the space and increase our options for the way the living room can be arranged.

Aside from the obvious challenges of patching the roof (we're fixin to get a new roof soon), patching the ceiling and trying to match (or complement) the floor, are there any other things that we should be looking at or concerned about?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
The gas line to it needs to be capped or plugged properly, back (outside) where it begins its run to the fp.
For demolition, you'll need safety glasses, heavy work gloves, sledge hammers, crowbars, wheelbarrow, etc.
Good Luck!
Mike
P.S. I'm originally from Gladewater in N.E. Texas (near Longview).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.