Removing Concrete Ridge And Ground Protection On Ground Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing Concrete Ridge and Ground Protection on Ground Floor

Hi,

I have done a few projects (replace windows and doors, wiring, plumbing) but I could use some helpful feedback on this project. I would like to replace a door that is on the first floor of a slab house (Long Island, New York) with an Anderson sliding door.

I know to put a support wall inside the house wider than the header I am installing to prevent any damage or second floor sagging. I have already installed an Anderson sliding door so I am not concerned about that part of the project.

What I would like advice on is two things:

I need to remove a concrete ridge (about 8 inches high and 8 inches wide) that is 36” on one side of the opening and 18” on the other side (Concrete Ridge Outside View dyi.jpg). A close-up is in the photo labeled “concrete ridge dyi.jpg.” This is on either side of the existing door that I am replacing with a larger patio sliding door.

_____ Is there an easy/best way to knock down/remove this ridge and get the remaining area below it level and smooth?

______What protection do I need to place under the Anderson frame to protect it from the ground and weathering (or do I place treated wood there first)? I believe I read somewhere of a plastic that should be laid down to protect the wood.

I also am working with an exterior factor of a steel detached balcony. I have measured the required rough opening and the door will fit. I am going to install an Anderson 400 series Frenchwood gliding patio door (PWG6068 – rough opening 72” by 80”). I have 82.5” from the outside concrete floor to the I-beam. I believe I will have to put the door frame in top first to fit under the existing shingles and behind the I-beam (Door and Ibeam dyi.jpg). The red vertical marks on the shingles in this photo indicate the rough opening of the sliding door.

Thanks in advance,
Ray on Long Island, NY
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Concrete Ridge and Ground Protection on Ground Floor-concrete-ridge-outside-view-dyi.jpg   Removing Concrete Ridge and Ground Protection on Ground Floor-concrete-ridge-dyi.jpg   Removing Concrete Ridge and Ground Protection on Ground Floor-door-ibeam-dyi.jpg  

Advertisement

RayIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,546

Removing Concrete Ridge and Ground Protection on Ground Floor

Hire someone with concrete cutting equipment. They will cut it level with the pad and straight on the ends.

Advertisement

joed is offline   Reply With Quote