Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

Removing concrete forming?

Finished pouring our mono footing/wall yesterday at about 5:00pm. It was a 6 sack pea-gravel mix with 16" walls, 6yds. total. How long before I can strip the forms off?

A couple of observations:

Using a line-pump hose over 100' can be a workout! Especially when the pump jockeys control box is either "off" or "fast". Made for some fun until he gave up and manually controlled it from the truck/pump.

Two inexperienced guy's are not enough for a job like this! I luckily brought in a experienced guy for the pour and am damn glad I did. Between the pump problems initially and the working knowledge of "time" concerning the cure rates and steps ie: juking the mud, tapping the forms for pockets, j-bolt install and the correct TOOLS!

We had some mud running over the footings neccesitating a "layer and wait slightly" tempo until the footing set slightly after juking. Was glad to have someone experienced around that made this all flow together, literally.

MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I would have been stripping the morning.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks, I did strip it today.

For the most part everything looks good. Thier is a couple areas where the finish is not as nice as hoped. It looks like air was trapped as the gravel is showing, particularly in one corner. Which is actually a corner I "tapped" a couple times.

The helper thought the mud was goofy. I used a company who mixes the dry mix and water on site with an auger type mixing set-up. It was then run through a line pump and 100ft 2.5" hose. The mix seems to have plenty of water when pouring, but it seemed to set up very quick and wick itself dry-like in spots.

I wet it down several times through the day.

I'm hoping I can "patch" up the grav-ely exposed areas. The concrete is very dark gray currently. Any suggestions?
MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Plain portland cement and water. Make a paste. and put it on with a sponge float. The sooner the better for a better match but it will still look like a patch.

I was going to mention that sometime we strip within an hour and float the wall while it is still a little wet. But if you get it too early your . A small wall like yours you could scratch it up and plaster/ stucco the whole thing.

At least your mud stayed in the forms. For the first time that's a .

HS
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote